1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best supplier of Compost 2015/2016

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Marley Farley, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :SUNsmile: This thread is for us all to tell the membership, what composts we use and why.. Or if necessary the ones we don't and why.... :blue thumb:

I personally am a fan of loam based composts such as the John Innes.. I also make up my own mix when available..

I don't like B&Q own multi purpose or loam based.. I have found them to be poor quality.. :dunno:

How about you all

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,802
      I love Wickes.

[Gotcha!]

• JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,239
      I have tried a few but always go back to Levingtons Multipurpose.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      It's a funny thing, I've always found their Peat Based M/P to be among the better ones. Their Peat Free is rubbish though. For potting on, I normally use a 50/50 mix of MP & Ji3.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Marley Farley

Ratings:
        +14,125
        Hmm maybe I was unlucky.. Last year I mainly used Westland as the local nursery was stocking it and they delivered it to me for nothing on his way home.. :biggrin: I have to say I had not problem with it, nice peaty mix..

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        I think I tried that once, was full of twigs:heehee: It seems to me that there is a lack of consistency with all compost types, but I feel more assured when it's not Peat Free. Of course, from an ecology point of view, using Peat based is less than desirable, but as yet I've not come across a good Peat Free.

Cheers...Freddy

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,322
          I think on this is wait and see what they will supply I never buy lasts years compost .

Glad we have a review on here again it does help out big time with us not wasting our ££

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
          • Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            Well I don't use much MP really so going to wait & see who my local nursery is favouring this year for their supply.. Hopefully it will be good.. :blue thumb:

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            I think there is a real inconsistency myself... ;) :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              I use Arthur Bowers multipurpose because that is what my local Garden Centre Group (formerly Wyevales) sells, and they periodically have BOGOFF and I stock up. I buy in the Autumn as I find that the compost is better than Spring version - I suspect it has been stacked overwinter outside and bags [bought in Spring] are heavily compacted, and compost is often soggy .

But either way, I find it very variable from year to year.

I mix it with 10% (by volume) Perlite which I find keeps it open - otherwise with watering etc. it tends to compact in the pots and plants that don't grow away strongly tend to suffer. Note that the perlite should not be too coarse (the sort of stuff you get in bags at DIY and Hydroponic store probably is too coarse. I define the P4-5mm grade as too coarse, and the P2-5mm grade as ideal).

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I splash out on a couple of bags of good quality seed compost each year costing around 25p/Litre, plus use Verve MPC bought from B&Q when they have a 15 - 20% off weekend @ 7p/Litre.

It can be a waste of time and money buying cheap seed compost and I use stuff that is a peat/soil mix as I've lost too many seeds when JI has clumped into a solid lump after watering. I'm not tempted to buy damaged bags of seed compost, anything that's been stored outside and would only use an opened bag from last year for the likes of beans or peas (mice have a habit of hiding all sorts of seeds in open bags). I find MPC good enough for peas and beans, but for smaller seeds it's worth spending an extra £5 p.a. on some decent seed compost.

• Like Like x 1
              • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                I also use good quality seed compost , I found Westland Gro-Sure did the job well last year.
                I use peat based multi purpose compost , never been brave enough to try peat free . I used to use Wickes , but last year bought B and Q verve for most of the season . I then found , at the nursery opposite the industrial estate I work on , Clover MPC an Irish peat based compost , its wonderful stuff ! :dbgrtmb: Although I don't think it is too widely distributed .
                I hope this years batch is the same quality and not full of lumps of wood and shredded plastic !

http://cloverpeat.co.uk/retail-compost/view/1/multi-purpose-compost

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                That's what I used last year. I spotted Tesco selling it for only about £1.25 a bag, put a few bags in my trolley, discovered it was really good stuff, but when I went back for more I discovered they'd trebled the price. I've still got some left

westland grosure.jpg

P.S. I'll fill a pot or two with that last year's stuff (perhaps with a few cress seeds), water and watch it in case it's gone off and goes mouldy. Best to find out before sowing expensive seeds in it.

• Like Like x 2
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Well, here's an article from this week's Gardeners Magazine regarding the Which Compost Trial.

• Informative Informative x 3
                  • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,239
                    I have a copy of the Which report & all the composts were used for seed sowing & growing on plug plants.
                    Interesting that the carbon Gold spokesman got upset because it's not for raising plug plants, it did badly for seed sowing in the trial as well.

• Agree Agree x 2