1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best time to plant crocus?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freedom_Spark, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I planted quite alot of daffodil bulbs last year & they looked great so I'm adding a few more bulbs next weekend, I was just wondering is late September ok for planting a few crocus bulbs as well? Also where do they like being planted, I notice quite a few people plant them under trees, are there any specific conditions they prefer or can I plant them anywhere? Any advice welcome.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Mine are all planted and have been for a week or so. I plant bulbs as I buy them through autumn...and then have fun and games trying to remember where I planted the last lot!

I think they do well under trees because the trees will be bare when they bloom. But I also use them in the herbaceous border, scattered through it. When crocus bloom, everything else is dormant so they stand out and brighten up an otherwise bare expanse. Later, when the leaves are dying back, the perennials are growing, so it saves me having to worry about hiding unsightly and brown crocus foliage.

Biggest problem - remembering where I planted them, to save digging into them by accident during the year!

3. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes plant now they will flower right through the spring

4. Boualem Bouderba

Boualem Bouderba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

When I planted Crocuses I made the mistake of planting them too early. I've learn't to plant them in mid autumn as opposed to the start of the season. Considering that they are early bloomers I thought well why not plant them ahead of time. (my mistake)

- Boualem Bouderba

5. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I know it's only early January but I'm already thinking about the little crocus' under the ground getting ready to show themselves, which month should I be expecting them?

6. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,799
    I'd keep an eye out for them to start showing from any time time now onwards. Mine are usually up and about february