1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best time to Prune?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bilbo675, May 19, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi All, our very elderly neighbour has just been round and asked me whether I would prune some tall shrubs on his front that are getting too tall for him to manage. Of course I said yes, no problem, the thing is they are some variety if rose (bunches of smaller flowers) and they are just coming in to flower (I have experience pruning all sorts of things but not really roses), so I suggested waiting until the flowers had finished so's not to spoil the display. He'll want them pruning then though so the question is; is it the best time to do it and if not will it damage them in any way???, oh and they're going to need a good 2-3ft taking off them...

Thanks in advance..

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    When any birds nesting in them have departed for starters.

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi, don't worry I will check for that, always do, I'm a big wildlife lover....:thumbsup:

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Tidy them up in October then cut them back to 3 outward facing buds in March.:dbgrtmb: