1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Tool to Get Rid of Bamboo?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Winnie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We have 20ft+ in height bamboo and we HATE it!!! Not just a bit .... a 'forest' of the stuff! We are using loppers at the base but as you may realise it will take us a year to cut the lot down - then we have to drag it up to the trailer, phew!!
    Would a chainsaw cut it? We don't want to risk ruining the chainsaw though .... and as pandas are rare we're scratching our heads!!!!
    Many thanks in advance chums!
    Winnie

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    Oh dear... Lots of hard work ahead then! Pick axe / mattock to get in under the roots and then get as much out as you possibly can. You will almost certainly miss some which will shoot back up. Spraying with glyphosphate on the new growth should do it but I'm betting more than one application will be required.

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    oh dear winnie, sounds like you have a bit of a nightmare there.

Unfortunately, chopping it down won't kill it, it will just re-grow. I think the only way you will get rid of it entirely is by resorting to weedkiller, glyphosate (such as Roundup) might do it, but will probably take a good few doses to kill it off completely. This means you don't cut it down at all as you want to get the spray on as many of the leaves as you can.

Someone else may have a more cunning method for you but I cannot think of any.

Once you have managed to kill it, the roots will have to be dug out and the soil re-juvenated with loads of organic matter before anything else can be planted there.

The best of luck with it.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Oops, sorry Loofah, I didn't get to see your reply before I posted mine. :)

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    Lol, no need to apologise!

6. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You're right chaps ... a LOT of hard work!! I've heard of using glyphosate (which strangely enough has doubled in price this year here) ... We cut down a sizeable area last year and I poured bleach on it which seems to have killed it and the root clump will have to remain there - a few straggly bits come up and we use the hedge shears to cut it - not such a problem .... we're on top of it. But this particular area we want to get shut of will take forever to cut down with the loppers, I was just wondering if the petrol chainsaw is a go-er or not ... The guy who planted the stuff originally must have been 'raining in' as it's everywhere. Some folk love it ... I can't think why ... There are also severe government restrictions on planting it now - it must be contained (what a laugh)!! So I guess we're not the only ones in France with a problem! I think they should 'ban' it completely. My hubby wishes there was a market for it - we'd be rich! Local garden centres have 1 metre length canes in a bundle of 5 for 4 euros (about £3.50 )!!!
    Thanks for your replies ... I can see us just leaving it at this rate. More's the pity they don't have 'chain gangs' anymore ........ lol!

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Don't use a chainsaw, The bamboo will be full off dross that will blunt the chain and there is a high risk of kickback with the twiggy nature of it.

A hedge trimmer will be your best bet, preferably a big petrol one then pickaxe out the worst of the roots, anything that then reesprouts spray with roundup.

8. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Bamboo is a member of the Rattan Genre. In the right climate and soil conditions it will spread like wildfire. As the canes are hollow, a chainsaw is the wrong tool for the job. The cane will spring back and potentially cause you a nasty injury. Don't use an axe for the same reason.

I am not a lover of using chemicals, but that is MY choice. If it was me, I would resign myself to the fact that you are going to have to do it the hard way. Loppers will take care of the smaller stuff, then a small handsaw for the bigger canes. Once you have all the canes down to ground level, using a good spade, dig all around the root clump. Sever as many roots as you can find. Then using a stout garden fork, stab as many holes as you can into the root clump. Sprinkle some parafin over the whole clump and light a small controlled fire in the middle of. Have some water or a hose pipe at hand to keep it under control. Once you have burnt of as much of the root clump as you can safely do, douse the fire. This is how people in places like Burma control Bamboo.

Once the fire is out, dig out as much as you can see. Burn everything you dig out. SAFELY!

You might like to save all the long canes for use as supports. Cut off and burn all the leaves. Dip the cut end in melted candlewax to seal it. Leave the canes in a dry place for a few weeks and check often for signs of regrowth.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chopper.

9. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry, forgot to mention this bit.

Some people can develop an allergic reaction to Bamboo. When cutting the canes try to ensure clean cuts or the cane will splinter. The splinters are razor sharp, especially on the outer skin of the cane. Some good strong leather gloves should protect you from the worst of it. Goggles are a very good idea as well.

If you do get a cut from the cane or a splinter that breaks into the skin. Remove the splinter as soon as possible and wash thoroughly with a good medical disinfectant. If you do get an allergic reaction to the cane, take a piece with you and go to the A&E department.

Chopper.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Can you get a tractor in there? When the local farmer has his flail mower hooked up to his tractor for hedging etc. it would make short work of the job. You'd still need a Vietnam Agent-Orange war :D thereafter to stop them coming back, but it will break the back of the job.

11. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Chopper for your concise instructions. Yeah that's the prob using a chainsaw. I think we'll just cut it at base level with the hand loppers, when we've nothing else better to do. It will take forever!! A couple of years ago my hubby started to cut it with the loppers at shoulder height ... until a top heavy piece fell onto his chest, just above the heart and scratched him!! Not a good idea ..... it could have been more serious!!!
    We also have a petrol hedgetrimmer but again we don't want to take the risk of damaging the machine. As for burning the stuff - that is not an option I'm afraid.
    And Kristen ... yep I agree Agent Orange sounds great but ....
    And nope, no tractor access.
    I think we're stuck with it ........
    We've given canes away to people - and the last lot we gave away to someone who wants to make a 'roof' for his pergola! Pity we don't know of schools who still use the cane! And I can't think of any dominatrices!! lol ....
    Once again chaps, thank you very much for all the feedback. Have a nice day y'all .............

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "And nope, no tractor access."

You'll need a couple of Apache helicopters, or Phantoms, to dispense the Agent Orange then. How about setting the fly-boys a precision spraying challenge? :D

" I can't think of any dominatrices!!"

I have a feeling that Google could oblige with that one !

I don't know whether the self-hire flail mowers will do the job, might be worth asking the local hire shop?

http://www.hss.com/g/62246/Flail-Mower.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.hirestation.co.uk/hirestation/catalogue/Mowing/140158/detail/379.html
    [​IMG]

13. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to comeback to this late.

If I had this problem I would go about it in the following way:

first - clearing saw. Basically a tough brushcutter with a saw blade. Wear full safety clothing, which includes boots that prevent penetration, thick gloves and other brushcutting clothing.

second - burn on site the stems and other debris

third - apply hi-strength round up

fourth - rotovate the area with something like a two-wheeled tractor

fifth - either clearout what you can of the roots or leave for step six

sixth - when there is re-growth apply hi-strength round-up

repeat until both the bamboo and yourself and bank balance are exhausted.

If you dont do anything, get in a mini-digger to put in a 2' trench for a solid plastic barrier. Bamboo would probably grow through a woven membrane