1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean secateurs and shears

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Eden1, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Eden1

Eden1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    What is the best way to clean secateurs and shears. I haven't been very good at cleaning my tools and they have built up a black layer on them and its hard to get off. I've tried using white spirits and isopropyl alcohol but neither have done a good job. I don't want to be spreading disease by using dirty equipment.

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    I'd try a bowl of hot water with a dash of washing-up liquid next, and use a green scouring pad. If that doesn't get it all off, try one of those knitted metal cleaning pads designed for stainless steel saucepans. Be sure to rinse and dry the tools off afterwards, obviously.

3. Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    As suggested above some abrasive cleaning bad brillo pad will probably shift it

Worst case scenario wire wool / wet and dry paper should clean it.

It probably also is best to sharpen the blade afterwards to ensure you get clean cuts.

Lastly to disinfect between plants I use some diluted bleach in a beaker. Then I dip wash and dry the blade between each plant.

4. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,988
    If they are bad ,even to the point of a bit rusty soak blades overnight in vinegar,rinse then rub with pan scrubber,dry well then oil..:dbgrtmb:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997