1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to compost?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by nikirushka, Feb 21, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I now have a steady "supply" of compostable stuff thanks to the quails I got in December, and my council's recent decision to stop accepting pet waste at the local tip. There's too much to go in my wheelie bin, so I will be composting it.

Presently I've got woodshavings and will have for a few more weeks, then I'm switching them onto oil seed rape straw, which is supposed to compost down quicker.

What's the best way to work with these? Give them their own bin, mix with other materials etc? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,739
      Woodshavings will rot down faster and produce a better quality compost if they're mixed with other materials, particularly soft 'green' material such as grass cuttings, vegetable peelings etc.

I use woodshavings for my chickens and they break down surprisingly quickly when I mix them in with all the other garden waste. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        So what are dog and cat owners expected to do with it then? :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          We have tons of woodshavings thanks to me and mr jane being woodworkers.

Best bet is to donate them to the local stable in exchange for a bag of manure. Currently we donate them to the neighbour across the road who has a wood burner. I have used them as a mulch in the past for my strawberries and ut takes years for certain species of wood, suck as oak shavings to rot down. Ive heard soaking it with urine helps immensely but have not yet tried it myself.

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
            +93
            Apparently we can put a "small amount" in our general waste bin, and we're allowed one carrier bag per fortnight at the tip. So my dogs' mess can go in the bin still (phew).

My quails, though, provide more than one carrier bag per week so I'll have a fair bit of it! I've set up my two empty compost bins today in readiness.

There won't be many woodshavings in there - I've got a small bin bag full right now, and what's in the cage (bout half a bin bag) presently then hopefully, I'll be switching to the oil seed rape straw at the end of the week.

• Creative Creative x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              That's really interesting. So, I'm guessing it isn't dependent on the size of the dog/cat? Which seems a bit mean really: the person with a small dog getting the same allowance as a person with a large dog. Ozzy is a large dog (over 9 stone) and a "small amount" for him would equate to a sizeable amount for say a Yorkshire terrier :heehee:
              Not that it is an issue for me, I take him out and he does his business outside and I bag it for the doggy bins. But, if I were taken ill for a few days, I have no doubt just how quickly that one carrier bag limit could become an issue :oops:

• Informative Informative x 2
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                While it's a good idea @Jungle Jane, I doubt the stables would want their wood shaving or SHOULDN'T! Wood shavings sold for use as bedding for horses SHOULD have been through a dust extraction process. Dusty shavings equals risking starting up COPD which equals massive vet bills! I once was given a truck load of shavings from a saw mill. Put some down and within about 4 hours I could hardy breath in the stables and had to take the horses out. Most stables will be happy for you to collect bags of manure for free.
                I agree wood shavings break down much quicker if mixed with other (green) materials and yes Straw will rot down faster than wood shavings. The wetter you can keep the shavings the better too. When we bedded 3 horses on shavings (that's A LOT of shavings to deal with per week) I used to having the hose running on the manure heap a fair bit during the summer to keep everything from drying out.

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
                  +93
                  I wouldn't worry, it takes longer than you'd think even for a big dog! I have 9, they range from 16kg up to 35kg and if we don't go out for walks for a while (happened a couple of times last year due to kennel cough), it takes about 3 days' worth of poo from my guys to fill one carrier bag. I reckon you'd be ok!

But, the one carrier bag thing here is for taking waste direct to the tip - it doesn't specify an amount for the wheelie bin. So I'm not worried on that front!

Stables - I wouldn't even try. Fresh shavings will be dusty, shavings that have been japanese quails are insane. They are incredibly dusty little birds and they make a LOT of mess, high proportion of ammonia in it for such dinky little things. Compost only, for that.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,560
                    When I had dogs I lifted the drain cover on my drive and disposed of their mess there, which is then flushed through from using the bathroom. I still have to do it now because of the huge population of cats in my neighbourhood that insist on using my garden for their convenience!

• Like Like x 1