1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to demolish a shed?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LindsayH, May 1, 2013.

1. LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have a 7' x 10' shed I need to destroy as soon as possible so I can build a new one, get all my shed stuff out my g/h and make more room for seedlings. I had a really good go today for a couple of hours and didn't get very far. None of the screws etc. will undo (shed is 25 years old). The roof is planks rather than sheets and covered with 2 layers of roofing felt, the bottom layer stuck on, the top layer much easier to remove. All I managed to achieve was making a small hole in the roof today and at this rate it will take all year. Can I take a chainsaw to it? If so, what would be the best way to go about it? Some pics as I know you like them...
    001 (2) (450x338).jpg 002 (2) (338x450).jpg 003 (2) (338x450).jpg

2. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    If your just going to smash it up and skip it then a lump hammer will do the job tickety boo.

Wear goggles and decent gloves though! If you haven't used a chainsaw before then use a lump hammer. Chainsaws can be very dangerous and lethal things.

Tally ho............... :hapfeet:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      What weapons tools do you have at your disposal?

I thoroughly love demolition jobs. Its a great way to vent any frustrations that might be niggling away.

No point sawing it up, although it might be quite satisfying, especially if you can mess your hair up first and pull a cheesy grin while giggling hysterically, and then glance at the neighbours as their curtains twitch.

A sledge hammer usually takes no prisoners, but be careful where you whack. You don't want to knock the walls free while standing under the roof:)

The use of a crowbar would be the more surgical approach, and if you have some good sturdy boots with good soles and good ankle support, a combination of crowbar and good kick is very rewarding.

• Like Like x 1
      • LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
        Ratings:
        +132
        Um, girl question, is a lump hammer a hammer with a big, square, very heavy end? If so I hit it all over as I hard as I could without noticeable effect. Mine has a very short handle though and I felt like I was hampered somewhat by this.
        To be completely honest, I'm terrified of chainsaws. Mine is a small, lightweight electric one that I've used very occasionally for chopping firewood. I am nervous about taking on a job like this with it.
        Well done on giving up smoking by the way!

• LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
        Ratings:
        +132
        Thanks Clueless, I hadn't thought of a crowbar, are they easy to use?
        Actually my new neighbours thoroughly deserve a good scare, maybe I should stick to the chainsaw:snork: oh and their shed is only 2 feet from this one so it would be even scarier!

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
        Yes, this is a lumphammer Lindsey

image.jpg

Like clue, I love destroying things like sheds etc... Very satisfying!!

If you have the stamina for a sledgehammer then even better. It's surprising what even a small whack can achieve with one.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
          Ratings:
          +3,267
          Or, how's about:-

image.jpg

image.jpg

*KABOOM* :autlvs:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,478
            Last year, I went to pick up my daughter who had been at her aunt and uncles for a day, and sister-in-law mentioned that she was stumped how to demolish their shed and asked my advice as her hubby was working long shifts and wouldn't get a chance to do it himself.

I asked her to make me a cuppa whilst I took a look to see what I could do - - - roof off, gables off floor up, all with a pair of size 11's, a crowbar, and a bit of brute force and ignorance. Better still, it was all done by the time my cuppa was cool enough to drink. :coffee:

I love a good demolishing session.

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,548
              Al n, now don't go putting the wrong ideas into Lindsay's head. Her neighbours want to keep their shed! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                If you use a sledgehammer you'll have a great big heap of splintered side/roof panels that will still need cutting up to dispose of, so use a jigsaw to cut the boarding out from between the framework (roof first) and it will be in nice short lengths to bag up. Then slice up the framework.

I have a petrol chainsaw and would never consider using it on something like a shed that's likely to do something dodgy like collapse onto and grip the chain.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +4,586
                  Advertise "Shed going free" and let someonelse take it away. Job done. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Creative Creative x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,639
                    Yeah, I go along with Scrungee, for the least effort and the safest method yet suggested.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
                      Ratings:
                      +132
                      Nice idea Kindredspirit but it's far too rotten around the bottom/edges to be reused. Plus there would be no way to take it apart to move it without destroying it.
                      Is a jigsaw an electric saw? I have one of those and that sounds like a really good idea. Is a sledgehammer the same as a lump hammer?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,595
                      No. A sledgehammer has a long handle and a four pound head. Its an entirely different technique to using other hammers. You use a sledgehammer more like a pendulum or wrecking ball. You let the hammer do the work. Most people who've never used one quickly work up a sweat by actually trying to drive the hammer home to its target by force. The trick is to get a nice leisurely swing in a nice wide arc, with the target just happening to be directly in the trajectory of the hammer head. The more complete the circle the head travels in, the less effort is required and the most force is achieved.

Never lift it directly above your head and drive down. If you must swing it over head height, swing it such the at the top of the arc, the head should be over to one side a bit relative to your head. Remember, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If you drive the hammer straight down and it bounces, it will whack you in the face. If you drive it straight down and miss, it will take your legs off. If you come down at an angle and it goes wrong, it will miss you.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        I'm not being 'funny' here but ... if you are taking *that* much effort to deconstruct it, surely it would be an easier/cheaper job to fix it up? :scratch: :dunno:

Seriously! I once had to demolish an "old" shed (because I had no clue on how to tart it back up again/renovate). But, these days, you pay a lot for very little - older sheds are most defintely worth their weight in gold (in terms of construction, durability, economy!).

In your shoes, I would be counting my blessings at a sturdy construction and be looking at renovativing rather than removal :redface: Even 25 yrs ago, "built to last" was something to be valued, not disposed of. In more recent years, it seems to me you pay a lot for such a little (in terms of fit, endurance, practicality).

All I'm saying is: in your situation, if it takes *THAT* much effort to demolish it, why on earth would you demolish it?

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1