1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best weedkiller?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nikirushka, Jul 23, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I prefer to avoid it and so far I've never had to, but I'm having to admit defeat: I need to get this mess sorted out and physically, I just can't do it with vigorously healthy weeds to battle (dodgy back)! A lot of them in theory I can dig out - the main of this patch is gravel on top of bare soil, so it's diggable but I want to use the gravel elsewhere so I'd like to kill off the weeds first, clear the dead then I can see what I'm doing a bit more clearly without knackering my back before I get to the heavy stuff. Also on the driveway out of shot on the right, some of the weeds are too strongly established for me to dig them out at all!

Am I right in thinking that glyphosate is still the best choice? And which brand is best, with that in mind? No pets to worry about on this patch. The only things I am concerned about are the magnolia and my yucca. Most everything else is coming out, except possibly some of the ivy - I haven't decided yet. Some will go and it's trailing throughout the gravel patch now but the big bit nearest the step is over concrete, and I'd quite like to keep that. If that's even doable with weedkiller being used!

2016-07-23 11.03.50.jpg

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd use glyphosate, wouldn't worry about brand too much.

You can get a gel form to paste on weeds that are near plants you want to keep :spinning:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Well I bought some stuff called ," weedol root kill plus".

As far as I'm concerned its not as good as roundup or just straight glyphosate.

It supposed to work faster but I've not noticed it.

And not really sure it is as effective.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I always use Wilkos` glyphosate. It is a lot cheaper than the likes of Roundup but is the same potency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Yeah, every bit as good. Maybe a third of the price.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
        +93
        Brill, thanks guys. I will go shopping tomorrow!