Better environment for insectivorous plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by RobFJ, Aug 23, 2021.

1. RobFJ

RobFJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve started collecting insectivorous plants. All are in pots of up 6” that have to be placed either in or above water. At the moment I’m using individual saucers or plant pot bases but they need to be filled up daily as they are too shallow/small.

I’d like one rectangular container to take them all (8 plants so far) but I can’t seem to find anything on line.

Has anyone got any alternative ideas or URL’s that I can search.

many thanks

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,953
    @RobFJ
    I have a number of insectiverous plants and I grow them in washing up bowls, packed round originally with peat and these days chopped moss; most of which grows on the top.
    I find the washing up bowls are small enough to be easily moveable and yes the sunlight degrades them over the years, but they are cheap enough so not a big issue.
    The peat/moss helps hold the water and keeps the temperature stable.
    Red Sarracena.JPG Sarracena flowers1.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,559
      Hi @RobFJ , welcome to the forum!

The Garden Superstore has a good selection of both decorative and strictly practical planters. I have ordered some for houseplants and have been happy with the products and the service.

Please do post some photos of your plants, insectivores are fascinating :)

• Like Like x 2