Betula Pendula - leaves turning yellow in July!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by silver1, Jul 18, 2009.

1. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have some young silver birch that have done very well this year - busy and plenty of new growth. However, all of a sudden the leaves are turning rapidly yellow and dropping - in July! Why should they think it is Autumn? Has anyone any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks
    Ann

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know... but it's happening to mine too!... just a few.... so I'm not worried!

3. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Quercus - that puts my mind at rest a bit. It is just my Betula Pendula that are affected, the Jacquemonti are fine. P.S. that should have been - "bushy and plenty of new growth" although I am sure they are also very busy :)

4. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Without further information about the tree and it's surroundings it sounds like leaf chlorosis which has a number of causes including nutrient deficiency, waterlogging and root compaction among may others. I'd suggest trying a nutrient rich feed, preferably organic to see if that sorts out the problem.

Matthew

5. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Attached is photo of one birch - don't know whether it will help

Ann

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Apart from the last two weeks it has been very dry in parts of the UK and as silver birches are surface rooters, well mine seem to be, it could well be lack of water. But this should have cleared up by now.

If planted in grass then it needs at least 18" all round to be kept clear and mulched