1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware, do not buy Aldi Organic Compost.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 2, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I am furious. I haven't bought potting compost for many years as normally use my own. I don't have any that is really ready and as I wanted to sow some seeds I bought some Aldi Organic compost which I was going to mix with some sand and use for sowing veg seeds.
    Bought 3 x40 ltr bags of the stuff. Opened 1st bag this morning and put hand in to get a handful, my finger hit something REALLY sharp, after a lot of ouch and blood pouring from my finger I investigated what the hell had cut my finger. An incredibly pointed hard bit of plastic which had obviously been through a shredding machine. I investigated further and in 3 handfuls I found 2 other pieces of sharp hard plastic and 6 pieces of poly bag......ORGANIC COMPOST!! my ar.. I have not investigated further.
    I telephoned Aldi customer service to complain. They took my details and nearly 6 hours later I am waiting for a response. God knows what else I can't identify is in this rubbish but I am not going to sow things I am going to be eating in it. They might think I am going away quietly about this...wrong I have a cut finger and horrified that they can try and pass this rubbish of as organic compost.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I tried it a few years ago Silu, it was convenient to buy at that time, never again.

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +772
      @silu

Facebook is your friend for things like this.
      Most companies have a Facebook page these days which they use to communicate (read peddle more wares) to customers.
      Take a photo of the bag of compost, the sharp bits of plastic you found and also include a picture of your bleeding finger and post them on their page along with a description.
      Guaranteed you get a faster response than phoning them up as companies really don't like negative things on their page for all to see.

Hope your finger heals soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        Oh yes any company message board gets fast results, forgot that :yes:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Silu I agree with DIY Dave, do it.. That is a dreadful response.. I hope you are up to date with tetanus jabs as heaven knows what else could be in it.. Keep a goos eye on it & photograph the cut for a record.. Not being a pessimist but my friend had a horribly infected hand the other year from a cut he got while potting up plants... :hate-shocked:

I hope your finger heals fast.... :grphg:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,937
          Lots of stuff goes into green bin which then goes for compost, when you see people putting in weeds, bindweed and ragwort etc and stuff that shouldn't go into the green bins, i make my own and if i buy any it's peat base

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            + Barcode & batch number

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 2
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Not unheard of Silu,hope you're OK ,i once found a good 5 inch piece of what looked like the lens from a brake light but like a fool did nothing about it apart from curse:doh:....Mine was from the place you always Q at even when the shop is empty....definitely keep on a them:thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,486
                With a bit of luck you may get a response from them now ;) :blue thumb: (I hope.)

• silu

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Well I've done a post on Aldi's facebook page! batteries in my camera need charging so no photos yet but said I'll post photos of the various items on their website tomorrow and also said I'll contact trading standards! We'll see what if any response comes from my post. Sounds like the stuff I bought is quite typical of what you get nowadays. Can't believe it can be sold in the state my batch is in. Well it's over ten years since I bought compost and if that's the norm I will not be buying compost again. I've had a rootle round my compost heaps and can just about find enough ready for my needs. Thanks re good wishes for my finger! After a good scrub (ouch ouch) and a dousing in Detol think it's fine

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
                +772
                :blue thumb:
                It's a bit late in the day to get a response from them but I will be very surprised if they don't answer sometime tomorrow morning.
                If they don't, then at least you know that they have no interest in customer service and satisfaction and don't deserve your business.
                Either way, don't give up the fight.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,486
                @silu
                I've been in touch with their head office and had a reply.

They haven't received any notification from whomever you complained to but, after I had contacted them, they have logged a complaint against the product and notified their purchasing department.

They want to sort it out with you, so I've asked if they want me to ask you to get in touch with my contact. As they sent their reply to me at 6 p.m. they won't have got my last email until they had closed for the day.

I can forward the reference number and details to you if you wish. I'm off out now and shan't be back until late. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 4
                • Friendly Friendly x 4
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Hi Shiney, That's awfully good of you to get involved. I phoned their customer service dept (tel no 01827710512) this morning somewhere between 10am and 10.30 am. I asked to speak to someone IC, was told not possible. Asked for name of customer services manger "we don't give out names". Person I spoke to said she would speak to a complaints leader and they would contact me...nothing! BUT I have had a response to my Facebook message from Aldi's "facebook team" who say they will get customer services to contact me asap. I'll wait and see pudding if that bears fruit otherwise yes please Shiney re your offer I am damned if they can get away with selling what to me is pretty well what I put in the rubbish bin. I wonder if the stuff was analysed what the results would be far less having anything to do with being organic. My best friend has an organic farm and they are constantly being monitored. They can't for instance have sheep graze their land which have not been raised on organic fodder. Surely you can't just stick the word organic on any old product and get away with it? I'd have thought all the contents would need to have come from an organic source? not just recycled god knows what from god knows where, maybe not even from the UK. I will be asking awkward questions after all I had intended to use it in my food production and the packaging pictures infers that carrots have been grown in the stuff. Hopefully I will get some answers.
                  Anybody want 2 unopened and 1 opened with a little taken out bags of "organic" ha ha compost? If no takers it's going back from where I suspect it came from, the rubbish bin.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,937
                    Can of worms

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +21,790