1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware Of Free Trials - Amazon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I just thought I would give everyone a heads up on amazon prime offer of a free trial. I signed up to this thinking after the free trial ended I would be asked if I would then wish to continue. I didn't recieve said email reminding me that I had signed up and that my free trial was about to end and woke up this morning to find that amazon had charged to my bank account £79! This has made my account overdrawn.

I immediatly cancelled the membership and was told that I would only recieve £72 of the £79 back as a refund, even though it just started yesterday. I then contacted amazon who said of course this was an error and said they would refund the whole amount. However this will take 2-3 days to process. In the meantime my account is overdrawn by an unplanned amount and will be charged £10 a day until amazon give me my refund.

I just thought I would warn others out there about this.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,204
      Sorry to heart you're having a problem.

This happens with a lot of things. Usually, somewhere in the small print, it states that you will need to cancel at the end of the free period. A reprehensible practice.

It's similar to websites that have a tick box that automatically ticks you in to having the 'extras' instead of you automatically being opted out, and then you need to tick yourself in. With some sites this has now been made illegal (particularly, cheap airlines).

If it wasn't in the small print then I would be asking Amazon for your bank charges as well.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I hate Amazon's marketing of Prime. I have had to actively say No on more occasions than I can remember during checkout. My Daughter got suckered into Prime by a similar "click to opt out" type device. Having made the mistake she decided to keep it, as she buys from them quite often, but I still hate the marketing approach.

Perhaps I should write to Amazon saying "In order to avoid buying prime, which I don't want, I am constantly having to avoid accidentally selecting it. You are hereby on notice that if I do accidentally select it I will expect a full refund, including any consequential loss such as causing my bank account to go overdrawn"

I buy sheet music for my daughter from an excellent online site. They offer a 10% discount if I pay them £10 (or something like that) annually. Every risk that I will not buy enough from them in 12 months to justify it ... or that they won't send a reminder in good time so I can "stock up" before the 12 months runs out ... why on earth not just give me a Loyalty Discount so that if I have bought £X in the last 12 months I get Y% discount.

Far too much crafty-marketing is the norm IMHO, and I pigeon-hole companies that do it as suffering from Greed and Avarice

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        Mr Jane thinks I could contest the bank charges for an overdraft I did not authorise, as I have no planned over draft the bank shold have regected the charges.

Is this worth a try?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,204
        It's always worth a try but I don't think it will get you far. You may be able to reduce the charges if you show them the letter from Amazon.

The bank have no obligation to make a decision to reject payment of a bill because of insufficient funds. Particularly as it was, obviously, a Direct Debit.

When any offer is made by a company it's always best not to rely upon them to notify you when it runs out. In the past (decades ago) there was never a continuation of charges in such circumstances but, nowadays, the companies rely upon people forgetting to cancel.

You can take it as an unwritten rule that when you get a 'free' offer there will be some catch to it and you must read the small print.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Yeah, but there are so many Sharp Practices out there, in this case both Amazon catching you out and the Bank helping themselves to a fee, that the consumer is bound to fall foul of them on a regular basis.

Both Mrs K and Miss K have incurred whopping parking fines for parking where they thought was fine - fine means fine in the eyes of the council of course :( One was a car park divided into two, and Miss K bought a ticket from the wrong "half" - so she had a perfectly valid ticket (had not tried to dodge the charge), but no leniency shown by the council nor the car park ombudsman. Mrs K parked in a an area deemed to be "Staff Only". No markings at all in that area, but there was a sign on an adjacent area (and if you knew and looked carefully you would realise), again no mitigating circumstances acknowledged.

It didn't used to be like that in the days before Greed and Avarice

Mrs K and I consistently move our business away from such organisations. I don't buy insurance from the cheapest source, as I assume that there are hidden catch-you-out penalties used to facilitate the cheap price. I go through a broker to whom I pay a fee and task him with finding the best deal for me. I expect him to know the ins and outs and not choose a policy that is not going to pay out for some spurious reason. I don't use Sharkleys, anymore, a bank that my family has given significant amounts of business to for generations, because a) they shafted me and b) they have been fined £BILLIONS for illegal activities (why does ANYONE deal with a crook like that? how come they are allowed to stay in business?)