1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bins and Composting

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Fathead, May 20, 2017.

1. Fathead

Fathead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

Which compost bins work better...plastic or wooden..????

We have a fair size lawn and when cut atm we have the hassle of bagging,finding time to go down the tip, put up with their attitude, smells in the car etc etc....then at home we find that postman pat is putting untold amounts of crap through the letter box......... plus during later in the year we have mountains of leaves from a tree...for the past few years Ive just used a leaf blower and pushed them to the edge of the garden

So Im considering the purchase a compost bin or 2....and just need some direction, plus can it create issues with neighbours....

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

2 different systems there, you need a wire mesh container for the leaves.

Make layers of kitchen waste/weeds/crumpled cardboard/junk mail in a separate compost bin :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I have used both types and prefer the wooden ones to the plastic dalek type. Look on youtube for ideas to ale them yourself. They are a lot cheaper, especially if you used pallets.

As Zigs said yyou need a seperate bin for leaves as they take longer to break down and will make leaf mold not compost.

Rusty

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      I've got 2 daleks.. chicken poo bedding and fruit/veg peelings except spuds go in mine along with grass cuttings. All good so far. Did have a wooden pallet composter on my allotment but seemed quite pants.. not sure if it was due to big gaps on the sides.

• Like Like x 2
      • rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        I find the dalek type hard to empty and turn. My next project is to build 2 wooden bins. I find that the process takes longer in the plastic bins as well. Like you Linz I put grass cuttings, fruit/veg peelings (not spuds), teabags, chicken poo and bedding, annual weeds that haven't gone to seed and garden pruning that have been put through shredder and brown cardboard when I have any.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          Yeah saying that, I find mine hard to turn too. Being 5ft and a fart I have to get a crate to stand on to do it. Not emptied mine yet I think it's still a bit fresh but I think I'll roll it on its side to do. Not to poo poo you but I heard teabags contained plastic and the bag doesn't really rot down.. bit off topic I found with bnqs teabag plants year before last (half on half off) the bag was still there 12 months later so I take them all off now.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,731
            I've got two of the 'dalek' ones, which I obtained at a discount via my local council - you may find yours has a similar scheme, many of them do to encourage recycling. I think they are slower at breaking things down than the wooden ones, but if you have space for two you can have one in use and leave the other to mature. I also bought a long winged-prodder-thing which is good for reaching inside to turn over the contents. The compost is great for mulching the borders and when it is ready to use I just rock the bin a bit and then lift it up and away - it is not heavy - and sort the contents. Anything undigested goes back into the second bin. I find it takes about a year to produce decent compost, and it helps to use plenty of dry material - torn-up brown cardboard is ideal, and I also use it for shredded confidential documents. Beware of putting in glossy/colour printed paper and cardboard as it doesn't break down so well and some of the inks may be toxic. And if you're putting in lots of grass cuttings be sure to mix them up with other stuff, otherwise in my experience they rot into a kind of pancake which chokes everything else! A properly managed compost bin won't smell or be a nuisance to the neighbours. Sometimes in warm weather I get lots of little flies in mine but putting in a layer of card cures that.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Fathead

Fathead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +3
            • rustyroots

Ratings:
              +2,946
              I've not noticed any in the compost or the beds. I do always rip my tea bags open. I will do a bit of research on them containing plastic. Thanks for the heads up.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,311
                What's with the spudism? Since when is it not recommended to put potato peelings in the compost bin?? It's news to me! Everything goes into my home-made pallet enclosures, except pernicious weeds like bindweed and couch grass, or infected leaves and fruit. Tell me more.....

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                Ratings:
                +6,224
                Lol spudism.. I read they sprout so thought no I don't want spuds in my bins. And in practice they do! My dad threw peelings in my bin after I told him not to.. I thought I fished them all out. I took this on 17th may
                20170517_133256.jpg

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0

Burn ye spuds ya naughty french northerner :old:

You don't want the blight turning into a much worse version Acta Horticulturae

• Informative Informative x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I built an open compost heap of about 6' x 8' with sides of chicken wire lined with black liner over 30 years ago and just about everything goes onto it. My Cats like to sit on the top of it due to the warmth from it so they have their own Cat Ladder to get them onto the top. I don't cover it but find it rots down material very quickly and I dig the "black gold" out during early Winter and spread it over the borders.
                  [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +14,311
                    Pffff...bonfires are not allowed! (Officially :th scifD36:) And I'll have you know that my pommes de terre don't have blight :yahoo: This is because they never got planted :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Like Like x 1