Bird nesting activity?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Jazmine, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +557
    I know it is still early but I have seen elsewhere that some people are seeing signs of activity in their garden?

Have you seen any signs that the birds are seeking out nesting places?

I have to say I haven't seen any birds checking out the bird boxes in my garden but then I haven't been outside much at all yet. It is still bitterly cold here.

2. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not seen anything BUT they are incredibly noise at dusk so I suspect something is going on. They are making a enormous racket. :D

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    The crows are flying about carrying sticks but they do nest early.
    The pigeons are doing their flying tricks today in the hope of impressing their mates - but they will nest in nearly any month of the year.
    The blackbirds are making all their racket at dusk.
    No sign of nesting behaviour in other birds yet. St Valentines day is traditionally the day the birds choose their mates so a little while to go yet.

4. rickfc

rickfc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here in Cincinnati, Ohio, I have noticed the mockingbird becomming more territorial, chaseing other birds out of the yard. I think that is a sign spring is on its way.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    The birds are very noisy in the gardens here at present as well.. Not really noticed any checking out the nest boxes yet.. I, like you rick I have spotted the Jay who lives by the church is getting very territorial & noisy here to, so yes I think spring is definitely on the way.. :thumb:

6. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i have seen blackbirds checking out my hedge in the front garden but havent seen any interest in the bird boxes in my back garden - i have three now and i hope they all get used this year. oh i did see some blue tits on the little cherry tree near the nesting boxes

now you have alerted me to this i am going to keep an eye out - thank you

Loopy

7. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    I noticed this morning, some blue/great tits mobbing my cat for going too near to where they are in some trees. I thought they only did that when they had nests? The robins seem to be getting more territorial and singing more

8. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    my blackbirds were nesting as late as august last year, i think they do go on much later than june

my tits flew their nest in late june

loopy

9. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    yes, this is from the rspb site

The breeding season lasts from early March to late July, and chicks are often found in a nest well into August. During this period, blackbirds rear 2-3 broods. In a good year, fourth broods may be attempted. Weather determines the timing of the breeding season.

loopy

10. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,287
    I have a pair of Robins and 3 pairs of Blackbirds that nest in my Garden year after year,:)
    Not sure if they are the same ones,could be the youngsters perhaps,no idea of their lifespan,:)

[​IMG]

11. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +557
    Interesting comments everyone.
    I have noticed the birds are making more noise early in the morning - I can't wait for spring now. I have a blackbird that nests in my vibernum shrub that is a tree after shaping.

12. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    aww i love robins

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    This thread is a good reminder that now is about the latest time to clear out nest boxes and disinfect them. We've had a couple of tits showing interest in one box already, though they may have just been going in to look for insects. Our open fronted box that was used by a blackbird last year has been used by something as a roost during the cold snap so I'll delay cleaning that for another month.

14. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Dave - we'll be off out to get some more nesting boxes this weekend - neighbours chopped down a bunch of trees in the fall season, so I'm sure there's a few less ready made nests around. We've had loads of birds in our front garden by the feeding tree and table - so would be nice to see some nesting as well.

15. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    we put a couple of those woven roosting nests in our conifers last year, after high winds blew out 2 nest, killing chicks :( great tits i think they were. we made sure the new nests are tightly tied on!