1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

biting insects

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by floris, Oct 6, 2005.

1. floris

floris Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone suggest how to avoid being bitten by insects? I have been bitten comprehensively on my bare legs, face, neck, thighs, between my legs right up to my b*m. I was clearing ground and pruning raspberry canes and there was a host of tiny white insects. All the bites have become swollen, red and feverish. In future I will go out clad in trousers and tights but can anyone suggest a cream which will deter such insects?

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    floris,I always crush lavender or mint leaves in my hands and rub over unprotected parts. Did this as a kid when at play or forced labour in the veg patch. Seems to work for me still. [​IMG]

3. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Floris
    Although I haven't tried it myself, a recent and now very popular midge repellent up here in the Highlands is Avon Skin-so-Soft moisturiser spray ! May sound strange but an old garden centre owner I know swears it does the trick, and it was issued to the Highland Regiment too - so if it can keep the notorious Highland Midge at bay, it should keep everything else away too.
    Rat

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would go with the prophylactic suggests made - good ones - but a thing I have found very helpful, when forgetfully brushing against stinging nettles or disturbing red ants - is "bite eze" painted on the site. Irritation settles very quickly

5. floris

floris Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Paladin, Sewer Rat and Fran for your helpful suggestions. The after effects, eg the itching and nausea, seem to last a long time. I shall just have to be more prepared when doing garden maintenance. Thanks again for your quick response.

6. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Has each bite formed a tiny scab on top of a very swollen red area?

If so I had the same problem and ended up in discussion firstly with a Dr at the Liverpool hospital for tropical diseases who put me in touch with a professor at the Natural History Museum. He studies black flies known as simulids. (Isn't the internet wonderful).

I have met a number of people who were affected in Kent, and he was telling me about an outbreak in a park in Brum. My feet swelled up like cabbage club root and I couldn't drive for a week.

The treatment is just the usual antihistamin cream.

7. floris

floris Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rich - Have just read your post of 10 Oct and to answer your query, the bites resulted in swollen areas without scabs; also other large (red)areas which itched like mad when showering. I will have to get an antihistamin cream for next time. I am sorry to hear of your symptoms. I also had swollen legs in an earlier episode (for which my doctor prescribed an antihistamin but I neglected to get it). This time it was mainly difficulty in standing up when rising from bed and after sitting down. I think the bites affect the muscles of the legs.