1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Black bamboo - how to stop it drooping?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sunelectric, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Sunelectric

Sunelectric Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted a black bamboo (Phyllostachys Nigra) about 2 years ago. As it has grown the culms seem to have problems staying upright - please see attached photo.
    [​IMG]

This is particularly evident during wet weather.

Would you recommend I stake the bamboo?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    This is caused by the weight of water on the leaves and is normal
    You could stake it or tie it back to the fence if you like
    Bamboo does not thicken out as it grows. A culm will always stay the same thickness as when it first appears. Culms will gradually thicken as the root system develops. If the culms are too thin then you can always cut them off to encourage thicker culms to grow :)

3. Sunelectric

Sunelectric Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the useful advice. I think I'll try to stake/tie them in the first instance.