1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Bamboo

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Oli, May 30, 2005.

1. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

Have read through this forum and very informative. Just registered, so very new and hope I don't upset anyone and ask stupid questions. I have a question I am hoping someone might be able to answer. Was given a Black bamboo plant 2 1/2 years ago as a leaving present when I moved to Leicestershire. Was lovely and healthy for 1 1/2 years and managed to split and give some to friends and family - however, mine has started to wilt and die - very dry and in ordinary circumstances would just throw away at this stage - the leaves are brown at the edge and feels very brittle - is it time to say goodbye or is there some way of salvaging it - it is in a veyr big pot so assuming it is not pot bound - I have it in a sunny position and is in my back yard which is surrounded by wall. I am quite a keen gardener and have had many successes but some failures too - still learning - and still a lot to learn yet. I have created a garden from scratch and I mean from scratch - but this has totally floored me - don't want to say goodbye - any help would be much appreciated.

Much Regards
    Oli

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Assuming that you are watering and feeding it as normal, then at a guess I would say that for some reason the plant is not able to access the water through its roots - two things come to mind, waterlogging, or vine weevil, but could be other things, like frost.

I'd tip it out of its pot, and see just what is going on at the roots.

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A friend gave me 3 roots (black bamboo) in similar condition to see if i could save them

The tops were dying off and going dry and brittle but the roots still looked fleshy and healthy

I put one in a pot in a propagator, one bedded in the greenhouse soil, and one in a bucket of water...so far the one in water looks like throwing a shoot up from the roots, the others have not moved although the roots still look healthy...looks like something peculiar to black bamboo? I will post here if it revives

4. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your ideas - I will try and see what's going on underneath and try to revive some roots. I'll try anything.

Oli

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Oli
    I have black bamboo & experienced something similar to you, though I must say it always looks at its worst at this time of year - they need loads & loads & loads of water, I had mine in a big pot for years & it never really was happy even though I gave it loads of water & fed it. I dug a pit, lined it with plastic, punched some holes & backfilled it with soil, manure & compost mix. Its almost like a mini bog, and it has been much happier since. The other thing is - how sheltered a site is your in? they don't like wind, and the leaves will "scorch" readily if in a breezy spot. Do have a look at the roots though - even if its just a few air pockets between the roots it can make a difference. you could also try water retaining gel/granules.

6. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf

At the moment the bamboo is in a large pot in our back yard surrounded by wall so is pretty sheltered. Where we live it is notoriously windy. I am worried about putting it out in the ground because our garden, although long is open plan and very open to the elements (almost like an allotment) - with it being so windy where we live I think finding a good position for it might be tricky. I am wondering about a larger pot again and perhaps the suggestion of some water retaining grains. Can over watering kill it? Or if as you suggest it is very thirsty perhaps I should look at watering twice a day. I am slightly encouraged by the fact you say that they never are at their best this time of year as I have never seen it look so ropey - I am hoping it may recover yet. I'll keep you all posted on how it fares.

Regards
    Oli