1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sambucus

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Jack Sparrow, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I have been looking at a black variety of sambucus for a few years. Today I saw a decent one for a sensible price. I have not bought one before because I am not sure where in the garden would be suitable.

I have recently re-utilised a water butt and now have a space that I could use. The space is under a large elder tree. The position is in mostly shade in the morning and dappled shade late afternoon and evening. It would have to live in a pot and it would be open to strong windWould sambucus survive these conditions? If not, is there anything similar that I could use?

G.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,691
    It won't perform brilliantly but it will be ok. They also root from cuttings really easily so propagate a few extras and try in different places :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
      +681
      I grow quite a few Sambucas Black Lace. I bought 1 and took cuttings from it. Quite easy as @Loofah said. I don’t think it would be bothered by the wind but not too sure whether it’s foliage would colour well or flower freely in what sounds like a pretty shady spot. This one is growing in pretty much full sun.
      77C07196-4AD8-4106-ADBD-5F3CE70CA9DB.jpeg
      It has grown big but if you grow one in a tub it would not be such a size. The shrub responds very well to being hard pruned so you would have no worries re it’s size.Another Sambucas which grows better in shade is Sambucas Sutherland’s Gold. It has quite bright yellow foliage if grown in shade and white flowers instead of pink.

• Like Like x 1