1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

black spot on roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Rob, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a really nice yellow climbing rose it recently becme riddled with black spot. It's up for the chop but what I want to know is can I collect the seeds from it or will they have inherited the plague as well ?? I've never tried roses from seed before and would like to give it a go.

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Is it really beyond redemption, Rob? I have roses that were pretty bad but with some care and attention they're coming back year by year. It's more a question of hygienic husbandry (i.e. clearing up the infected dropped leaves and cutting back the infected stems and spraying regularly).

I believe as far as seeds go, it rather depends upon the type of rose. Most roses are hybrids, that is a cutting grown onto a wild base. So seeds might not take and if they did might not be true. That's not to say you couldn't give it a try. Anything's possible!

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mercy Rob, please, Black spot won't kill your rose - tis just unsightly when it gets hold and it can be kept under control.

Michaelmas daisy has it right - remove as many of the diseased and fallen leaves you can and burn or destroy them. The fungus that causes black spot overwinters on the fallen leaves. Then as soon as new leaves start forming next spring, spray with something like rose clear. Usually needs once every two weeks for four applications (late evening to avoid the bees and other useful predatores).

Works believe me - I got quite a lot of roses now, and Nick an expert on roses got me getting to grips with it and its worked a charm.

4. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have problems with blackspot every year.I do the same as MD and clear up on almost a daily basis.( Having retired / no granchildren /oogles of time).Then as Fran suggests spray with rose clear. My climbing Iceberg was hit bad this year but is doing okay now.

5. Rob

Rob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was under the impression that black spot was a bad thing in a garden but I shall save it from the chop and continue training it along the fence. I'm going to keep it sprayed, and I'm going to give the seeds a go now.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed

Rob