Black Tomato Plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by weyms, Jul 29, 2007.

1. weyms

weyms Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

All my tomato plants went black and mouldy as did the fruits, is this some sort of blight due to the wet weather?

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Probably potato blight weyms.It starts with brown patches on the leaves.Stems show blackened patches.Brown shrunken patches on fruit then they rot.My book says to spray with mancozeb as soon as the plant has been stopped but there`s no treatment once the disease has taken hold.
    I`m having the same trouble myself but so far only on the leaves.I did have it last yr but still managed to get a few tomatoes,so i havn`t given up yet.

3. davris

davris Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi weyms
    I think you might be right about the wet weather on your tomato fruits because this has happened to mine in the past when I over-watered them, I am less generous with the watering can now and don't have the problem

4. weyms

weyms Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to you both.

I have had too throw them out, I supose its to late now to try again?

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Our garden centres still have some tomato plants for sale. If you can find plants that look healthy then it's worth a try. We might yet get some sun!

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    I've just got the blight as well :mad: . I've cut away a lot of the blighted plants and, although they all have blight, I've left some with fruit that doesn't seem to have been affected yet. I'm hoping they might survive long enough to start to ripen. I've cut away the leaves from around the fruit to let them get some more sun. Fingers crossed [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have removed three barrow loads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]