1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackberry Merton Thornless

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, Jul 20, 2022.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

We have had his Blackberry for around 15 years and its always been a good cropper but the last couple of years its only produced 2 new canes vs the 3 - 5 it used to.

This year, though a fair bit of fruit forming , the whole plant looks to be lacking in vigor.

Not been able to find any reference as to how long these plants last , so not sure if it needs replacing or its just one of those seasons, and a good feed will revive it ? ( which we do anyway each spring)

Noticed when posting this thread that in another, @JWK recommended Chester as for its very good fruit.
    Seems its a smaller plant at 6- 8 ft but wondered how many fruiting canes it typically produces, or if we would need 2 of them to produced the same amount of fruit from the Merton ?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,076
    My Chester is 12 ft wide and 6ft high. I'm not sure how many new canes it produces each year, its maybe 4 or 5 all I can tell you it is very prolific and has more canes compared to my earlier variety Loch Tay. I got my first picking a week ago and it keeps producing till late October.

Have you thought about taking cuttings of your Merton, it might be quicker to get to a good sized bush and certainly cheaper than buying.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi John,

Never thought about taking a cutting, but just seen some ytubes on doing that which seems easy enough, though no sign of any new shoots on ours yet, though its often quiet late.

Assume as a cutting it would have more vigor than the old parent plant, though not heard of any viruses etc that could cross contaminate things ?

Either way will have to keep the old plant going as it will take a cutting or new potted plant a couple of years to get fully established.

Do you grow your Chester in a fan shape against a wall ?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,076
      Yes they will have more vigour and sorry I don't know about viruses. I imagine a cutting will have any that the mother has, so that's a good reason to buy in new fresh stock.

Mine took 3 years to really get productive.

Mine are down the allotment, with a couple of stakes and 3 wires going horizontally, trained as a fan. Here it is a year after planting:
      20170604-P6040040.JPG

August last year:
      20210813_104901.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.

Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old Merton which looks even poorer after the heatwave.
        Will give it a foliar feed and see if that perks it up a bit.

Also lost a lot of the ripe fruits on the Raspberries as again the heat seemed to almost cook them !

• Friendly Friendly x 1