1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackbirds - will they return to old nest?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Passion Flower, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone knows how I can encourage my blackbirds to nest again in my garden.

They had two batches of eggs both which all fledged and the nest is still intact, although it has a few weeds growing in it now.

They nested in my Salix, with a weeping willow over it ... seen below. Nicely tucked away from cats etc and I would really love them to come back.
    [​IMG]

Do I remove the nest? Do I spring-clean it? Or just leave it alone?
    Any advice would be greatly received! [​IMG]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Leave it Passion Flower they will build a new one next to it if they like the spot.

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    sorry this is so late. walnut's right, 'our' blackbirds are nesting in the same bush as last couple of years. We've never cleared it out or anything.

Any sign of yours yet?

cheers

4. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No, the blackbirds haven't returned to this nest so I removed it as it was very dry and just fell apart in my hands. I thought perhaps they might come back and build another one.

To my surprise and delight they nested out the front this time right by the side of my lounge window in a pyracantha but unfortunately the mum abandoned the nest with just one egg in it. I was going to take some photos to send to Springwatch on TV when it comes on soon but I can't now. Shame!