1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackcurrant bushes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Andrew Staton, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Andrew Staton

Andrew Staton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I'm new to this forum and wonder if someone can give me some advice on what to do with my sole blackcurrant bush. It was bought two years ago, did very little last year but has produced a bumper crop this year, which I am harvesting now. Once the fruits have all been harvested what should I do with the bush in terms of pruning etc?

Many thanks.

Andrew

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Prune away about a third of the bush is about right, in this order.

1. Any dead, deseased or dieing wood.
    2. Any branches that cross each other (these can rub in wind and allow infection in.)
    3. Then shape your bush, it's desirable to have a goblet shape if possible, ie a hollow centre as this allows good airflow around the plant.

Using the above guide take around one third of the branches out, in your case it may be just a couple (or none at all) as yours is a new bush.

Good luck!

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Andrew Staton

Andrew Staton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I shall take your advice.

Kind regards.

Andrew