1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackcurrants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greenveg, Jun 2, 2011.

1. greenveg

greenveg Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again,
    Back to my blackcurrant bush. I bought it from a garden centre last November, and planted it straightaway. It is now three feet tall and looking very healthy. However, there is no sign of any blossom. Is there still time, or will it not bear fruit in the first year. I live in Lancashire.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greenveg,

Its unlikely to if it hasn't flowered already, mine are setting fruit now.

Don't panic though, once it gets its roots established, it will fruit for years, more and more each year.

3. greenveg

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again,
    Thank you for your reply ziggy searchfield. I have spoken to a local friend of mine, who has a few
    established blackcurrant bushes in his garden. He tells me that he has no blossom yet. Maybe with living in the north, we are a bit behind, here's hoping.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GV,

No worries,

Just had a look at mine, cuttings made last year, a few berries are ripening. Wouldn't expect too much out of them this young.

I'll keep em crossed for you. In the mean time have a look at what I get upto with blackcurrant high juice in the recipes section:cheers:

5. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Also on the subject of Blackcurrants - I have one bush which is about 18 months old and has given me a reasonable amount of fruit already this month but at the ends of each branch there are tonnes of black aphids and ants. They don't seem to have eaten any of the fruit but presumably I should try and get rid of them nonetheless? I'm trying to garden organically so does anyone have any suggestions?

6. greenveg

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again,
    Referring back to my blackcurrant bush I planted last November, it looks like that I will have to wait until next year for it to blossom. A friend told me not to prune it in the first year, just leave it and prune after the second year. Is this correct?

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greenveg,

Thats right, you don't need to prune it yet, they will bear fruit on this years growth next year.

8. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    Can I jump on the Blackcurrant thread here

My daughters new house has/had Thirty blackcurrant bushes of the original RIBENA variety
    They are going should I take the bushes or cuttings from them ?

Same question for the Raspberries

Jack McHamocklashing

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it Jack:thumbsup:

Blackcurrants are very easy to take cuttings from, most bits that you cut off a bush will take root:dbgrtmb:

10. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    Yes but do I take the whole bush roots and all or cuttings

They are going to be dug out to a skip ?

Jack McH