1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackthorn plants - best way to remove?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheMadHedger, May 5, 2021.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I have a mass of blackthorn growing on one part of my property which I'd like to remove, there must be a couple of hundred young plants, maybe 2 to 3 feet tall with the main stem for the larger ones being about 1 inch in diameter.

I've already made a start - as I don't have the energy to dig them all up I'm using loppers to chop the stems right at ground level. Will the stump and roots then die or will they produce smaller shoots from the 'stumps' or even sprout from the roots?

What are my other options? I don't want to use poisons - is there any kind of gardening related power tool which could clamp onto the stem and pull them up, roots and all? Maybe I need to hire a tractor. ;)

Note: I am aware of the infection risks of getting spiked with a thorn so I'm dressing up in thick clothing, very strong and thick gloves (two pairs - a 'thorn proof' thinner pair then a much thicker and longer pair over those) and eye protection.

I'm very cautious about blackthorn because besides reading about it, last year I was spiked by a thorn of a blackthorn, it went through the side of my cheap wellington boots as I was pushing it over with my foot and one thorn stuck into the base of one big toe (the thorn didn't break off in my skin thoough so nothing to dig out). There was no local reaction but later that day a rash appeared all over my torso ..... some antihistamine sorted that out and I've been fine since. I now wear much thicker boots. :) I can only assume that the blackthorn caused the rash.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Morning, can you leave later in the year as you may have ground nesting birds .... you will have to cut each one down to the ground but once done you can control by going over with the mower if any regrowth

Spruce

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,662
        They're only 2 to 3 ft high so I don't think that birds will be nesting.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +44,662
          Have to keep cutting them down until they give up. The only other thing is to dig them up but I know that you don't want to or can't for some reason.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,995
          I think you either dig it all out, or, and I know you said you don't want to use chemicals, but hit it once with SBK, then dig it out.
          I got a feeling the roots will sucker if you don't.

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,322
          • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
            +226
            Even though there's a lot of them they're not densely packed (maybe a foot or two between each stem) and I'm checking as I go for any ground nesting birds, not seen any yet (don't think there will be any either bearing in mind the spacing) and have never seen any in that area either as I'm often on that part of the ground. Good suggestion though.

As for suckers, once I have the plants all cut to ground level I could set my tractor mower to a very low cut and keep them down that way I guess should any suckers appear.

I can't dig them up, I get lower back pain if I dig too much (muscle related, ongoing problem on and off for years).

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
              Last edited: May 5, 2021
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,333
              They will sprout from stumps and also sucker from roots.
              You might want to consider minidigger if you really want them out.
              Years ago had to remove a blackthorn from my elbow with a pair of pliers fortunately no ill effects.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
                +226
                Thanks, wish I could afford to even rent a mini-digger. Think I'll just have to stick with what I'm doing now then 'mow' them from time to time with my small tractor mower. :)

Pleased to hear that you suffered no ill effects from the blackthorn in your elbow.

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,162
                  I wear safety boots in the garden with metal sole plate and toe cap, remember to protect your eyes too, wear safety specs.

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
                  +226
                  Thanks, my new boots have steel toe caps and extremely thick soles. I wear safety goggles too. :)