1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blank canvas - garden ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kabous, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kabous

Kabous Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo All

2012 Resolution - Tackle the uninspiring back garden.

Problem - Haven't got a clue about the lay-out, plants to use, edging to avoid lawn reclaiming what it's lost etc.

I will be very grateful for some advice and ideas to create a colourful, fragrant, as leafy as possible all-year-round garden.

Points to ponder:
    1. Shapes of borders, beds.
    2. Types of plants, shrubs etc.
    3. Windy area with LOTS of rain.
    4. Isle of Anglesey weather.
    Regards

Kabous

Attached Files:

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    No need to use edging, just tidy with a trowel if need be when weeding.

1; Whatever shape is pleasing to your eye. Just remember that you will need access for maintenance, but want it deep enough for multilayered interest.
    2; It would appear that the garden slopes - does the bottom area get boggy? You will certainly be looking for plants that like full sun though.

4; What is Anglesey weather?

I'll not offer too many plants yet, but Google Lobelia cardinalis and Lobelia tupa - these are two herbaceous perennials that may well enjoy your garden.

3. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    Stiff or calming

Hi kabous,
    Nice to talk to you,

Now the first thing im going to say to you is this,

If you really want some good advice as to what to do? you have to be fair and give a little thought as to telling us the following
    (1) Size of garden you have,?
    (2) pictures from all 4 sides including the rear view from the end of your garden facing your house?
    (3) your own thoughts towards the garden ie do you like gardening or are you looking for a garden you do very little in?
    (4) Is it flowers only or flowers and veg or do you fancy a greenhouse, water feature perhaps,?
    (5) do you have young children or and pets?
    (6) do you have a lot of time to spend caring for a fully functual garden?

It may seem im asking a lot, but your the one that needs pleasing and have to live with it.

To give you some thoughts, long stright border edges can be very stiff and clean looking,
    rounded corner's and bending curves can be very calming to the eye,

The sound of a water feature can to some people be relaxing, to others it makes them want the loo:heehee:
    And the very last thought is cost, to set up your blank canvas??????

Do it correct the first time and you'll do it once, Get it wrong the first time and you'll pay twice!:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      What's the field just beyond the boundary fence? Is it open to the public?

The reason I ask, is that if it is, then there seems little point (in my personal opinion) in you having a good sized lawn. You could fill your garden with all sorts of nooks and crannies, and if you have kids who want a kick-about with the ball, just nip out the back to that massive field. Just a thought.

• Kabous

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the replies.

Anglesey weather = lots of rain, wind and mild temp in the summer (ave 17), odd warm day, less rain in April, May June.

As from the photo, the lawn does slope a little, but it is not more boggy/muddy than the rest.

This being a new build 7 years ago I don't know what they have hidden below the turf, but I am suspecting some slate chippings or building left-overs.

I want to have a wide border along the left side fence and the back fence. Straight edges/line will make it a lot easier, but as the deck and conservatory (both to the right and out of sight in the photo) is straight lines having more straight lines just seem too regimental, hence my thought of a curved design.

As you say, do it properly the 1st time is my goal, but lack of plant and lay-out knowledge is the cause of concern.

• Kabous

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello All, well nothing happened since 2012. We decided to invest on other parts of the house and wait for the children to outgrow the ball and rough and tumble phase. Now we are ready to do this.

We want some small evergreen trees and several shrubs/plants to provide variable height and all year colour and scents to attract wildlife.

I have read through many posts on here and have a long list of plants to consider.

I include a provisional layout of what we are thinking, but am open to your suggestions if the shape needs to change and which plant to plant where to create a meaningful structure. Shape is simply to break the straight lines of the fences.

All your comments greatly appreciated.

Kabous

Attached Files: