1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blashford Lakes

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by strongylodon, Feb 24, 2011.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,394
    A late Winter visit to Blashford Lakes Nature Reserve near Ringwood, Hants. Converted ex gravel pits.
    A lot of the ducks were too far out on the lakes to get a good view and the Bitterns remained hidden all day.
    There was however a large flock of Cormorants.

[​IMG]

A Moorhen eating Reedmace seeds and doing a balancing act.
    [​IMG]

Equally known for wintering finches, the feeders are a main attraction.

Brambling.
    [​IMG]

Brambling blend in well with leaf litter!
    [​IMG]

Siskins.
    [​IMG]

Redpolls.
    [​IMG]

Siskins and Redpolls.
    [​IMG]

Nuthatch.
    [​IMG]

These Scarlet Elf cup Fungii were small but very distinctive.
    [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on Strongy :dbgrtmb:

The siskins remind me of "Bird" a little yellow sparrow type thing that turned up on the door step one day when I was a kid.

It didn't fly, just said tweet, in fact thats all it ever said. I opened the door wide, it looked at me, said tweet & just hopped in and stayed.

Never got a bird cage for him, he was happy enough roosting on the back of the sofa.

After a while, he took to gliding off the back of the sofa, but never made any effort to fly. He was happy sitting on my finger too.

He stayed with us for years, until he died of old age.

3. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
  4. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
  5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Great photo's, Strongylodon!! It always cheers me up to see our wildlife doing well. Maybe you can help me.
    Last year while fishing just outside Peterborough in July a small bird. the size of a wagtail, sat on my rod for several minutes. I had time to look at him, and he at me, but I was struck by his plumage being different to the norm! His beak was of the flycatchers type while his plumage, I'll try to describe it as clearly as possible, was that of a completely black bird splodged with white paint or visa versa! The chest was marked like that of a Thrush. Being a fisherman over years I have got familiar with all British birds and visitors being they'll come and pinch my bait if I let them [and I do!}, but this particular bird has got me stumped! I've looked in the books to try to identify it but no joy. The nearest was a Snowbunting but I'm sure it wasn't that!!

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Was this it Armandii ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l_iam/4691848200/

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,394
    Might be A Dipper as Ziggy suggests, if you had one on your rod you were very lucky, I have never got that close to one.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Last Dipper I had on my rod was in Amsterdam as I recall.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,394
  10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Ziggy, It was very much like that but the dark upper body had splotches of white all over to the extent of almost 50/50. The chest is exactly like the bird I saw. What's "thrown" me is that white splodging, that's what marked it out as a bird I'd never seen before. I had plenty of time for look at it as it sat on the rod and so I remember it well because I knew it was something I'd never seen before. Luckily for the both of us I didn't get a dip of the float while it was sitting there!! Thanks for the pic, close but no cigar!! It's bugging me because I know my wild birds and I can't pin this one down. I'm fishing there again in July this year so I'll keep my camera handy. Having said that, I've got a feeling had I reached for the camera at the time it would have flown off!

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Armandii,

This will link you directly to the bird forum where I posted your description,

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=193317

If anyone can help, they will:thumbsup:

13. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Thanks, Ziggy, I went on the site and there are a lot of suggestions including a pied wagtail. As I said it was the size of a pied wagtail - but it was most definitely not one! I've seen too many wagtails in my time to know that it wasn't one. It's a strange one. Thanks for the help!!

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My pleasure as always:thumbsup:

I know what its like. I spent an hour chasing a strange bird through some woodland trying to get a better look at it.

It was Swallow shaped, about the size of a pidgeon, black, with a forked tail. Very alien sounding.

Never did find out what it was.:DOH: