1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blight resistant tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ClaraLou, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Just wondered if anyone has grown these and found them to be (a) truly less susceptible to blight than other varieties and (b) worth growing from the point of view of taste. I don't see much point in growing something which survives the onslaught of disease but tastes of cardboard!

PS So far so good with Sungold and Gardener's Delight - both delicious.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hello ClaraLou:)

We are growing for the first time this year blight resistant toms,namely Ferline{ F1 Hybrid} and Legend from T&M.I do believe Shiney is growing Korilick{Not sure of spelling}.

The plants were very slow in starting to grow after germination and I put it down to the cold weather and cheap compost.Even though they were in warmth they still stayed quiet small for weeks.It was only when the weather finally warmed up outside that they got a move on.Mr Kandy planted them out after frosts in the back garden border and apart from one of the plants having crinkled leaves all season and another one getting it's stem snapped,which I then stuck in water until it had grown more roots,before planting back out in the garden{this plant has produced small cherry toms}

Mr Kandy mixed up the plants when he set them out although I have now found one of the seed packets,I think the large beefsteak type ones are Ferline and the smaller round ones are the legend ones....

He has eaten the first of the round ones which I think are Legend as in the first photo I will put up but as yet hasn't had any of the other ones ripen enough to eat yet.He said that the taste was superb:D

The plants have been well watered during the dry spells and fed on Chicken pellets,and even though we have had constant rain for the last five days they still look fine ..:yez:

The only problem I have found is that due to the weight of the beefsteakFerline ones some of the branches are snapping and on some of them...:p

If these plants turn out to be successful then we will try them again next year but in a different part of the garden,just to make sure we keep them disease free:)

We are living in the Midlands by the way.:)

Here are a couple of piccy's of them.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Thank you very much, Kandy, those toms are looking good. I might have a go at Legend next year.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Your most Welcome ClaraLou:thmb:Next year I might suggest to Mr Kandy that we try some of the plants over at the allotment to really test them out as I know other years some plot holders spuds have been hit by the blight.

One of the couples who grow and plant out toms on their plot spray them with a Copper solution which makes the whole plants and the toms go a greyish colour and then when the toms are ripe they take them home and eat them,but we odn't fancy going down that route,even though I don't eat toms myself:D

By the way,the packet for the Ferline ones says that they are also reistant to Fusarium and Verticillium wilts,whatever they are:D

Good luck in trying them next year and do let us know how it goes:)

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    Hi Clare,

Kandy is correct, we are growing Korilik. They have grown well and are a cherry tomato. They look quite unusual on the plant as the trusses are very long with the tomatoes spread fairly wide apart on the truss.

There are plenty of toms on them and Mrs shiney says they are quite tasty (I don't eat raw tomatoes). There is not the slightest hint of blight although I have deliberately planted them in the part of the garden that always gets the blight first. Having said that, the isn't any sign of blight on the other varieties either.

I'll try an find time to post a couple of pictures here. :thumb:

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
  7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,166
    I haven't tried any of these blight resistant varieties so I'm interested in hearing your results Kandy & Shiney. If you can take a photo of the Korlilk I'd appreciate it shiney. We haven't had any blight yet this year.

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,496
    Hi John,

The Koralik plants grow quite straggly and are a bush variety. So are best grown with supports. I have tied some up and let others straggle. There has been no problem with either way but the ones let to do their own thing have spread quite wide. The ones tied up have reached a height of nearly 5ft. I haven't pinched out any side shoots.

The toms looked as though they were going to be tiny but have now started filling out quite well. They are a bit behind in ripening because of where they are sited as they are shaded by apple trees and runner beans.

We can let you have some seeds to try for next year as I know you like experimenting with new varieties. :thumb:

The fruit were spaced quite far apart along the trusses but the gap has got smaller as they are swelling. The whole effect of the plant is quite open so it may allow more air around them to help ward off blight.

This is a shot of one of the plants that I did just let straggle with only a little bit of support.

[​IMG]

P.S. Mrs shiney said that there is a touch of blight on some of the other toms but there is nothing on the Koralik.

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,496
    Most of our outside tomatoes have started to succumb to blight but they were almost finished anyway.

The koralik are still totally blight free - sshhh! They are now ripening well.

[​IMG]

10. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hiya Shiney. Can you please update as to the final results from growing Koralik, including how they tasted ?

I've suffered the blight for 3 years now, totally wiping out the crop, very depressing :( It would be nice to know that some of these varieties actually DO have some resistance.

Cheers...Freddy.

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,166
    Freddy, maybe it's time to use some chemicals, like Bordeaux Mixture.