1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Daffs , Lift or Leave ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, May 8, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    A few of the Daffodils I planted last year are blind . I have been lucky enough to not have blind ones before. Do I leave these , hoping they will flower next year , or lift and discard them ?

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I would leave them....
    Three autumns ago we planted our steep bank with daffs, to create a "natural" bank of flowers. The mice had a field-day, and a lot of the daffs they left were the smaller ones, which were blind. Two years on, most flowered this spring, and the few remaining blind ones are sending up more leaves, so will probably flower next year. The advantage of leaving the blind ones in situ, if you can, is that each year the roots are pulling the bulb down, so when they flower they will be at a really good planting depth. (May not be relevant for you, but planting in sand on a bank means its nigh on impossible to get the appropriate planting depth)

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I grow a "few" Daffodils @HarryS :). I agree with @Sian in Belgium , leave well alone and don't be in a hurry to remove any leaves. I only ever lift and replant when mine get too crowded which will eventually stop them flowering. However I am NOT lifting what you see below which is only about 1/4 of what I have. I planted them but I will leave it to whoever is here when I am dead and buried to lift and replant this lot when they start to not flower so well!.
      023.JPG

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: May 8, 2018
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,595
        you only planted them last year. then leave them.

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          I lift blind daffs and replant deeper. Also I check to see if they are congested and if so I divide them. A third thing I do is feed until the foliage has died right down :)

• Like Like x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Thanks all :blue thumb: Leave them it is , I can't plant them deeper they are in container. I do give a small feed as the foliage dies back .