1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blotchy tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by pimnimmin, Oct 12, 2010.

1. pimnimmin

pimnimmin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been growing tomatoes outside this year but over the last few days the leaves have all wilted and died, and the remaining tomatoes now are blotchy red/brown or green/brown - not sure they are OK to even make chutney from. Any ideas why this has happened? I live in London so we haven't had a frost and I haven't let them dry out.

P

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm really sorry but that sounds like tomato blight.
    If the blight has got into the fruit then it won't be any use for anything.
    What a shame.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    It does sound like blight, and as Alice says you have to discard them. Mine suffered the same fate in the last couple of weeks, I picked off all the remaining fruit and only a few of those ripened, about 90% have gone brown and blotchy and have to be thrown away.

4. sterile

sterile Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The same happened to the last of my tomatoes - a late blight took the lot :( I had thought we'd escaped it this year but I've had to throw away what would have been some gorgeous fruit just as it was ripening :cry:

5. pimnimmin

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no. I escaped blight last year. I assume I won't be able to reuse the compost from the growbags if it's blight?

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pim,

No, the grow bags will have the spores in now. Mind you, grow bags are not much use for a second years use, bareley enough nutrient in em for the first crop.

7. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Mine too, beef tomatoes and plumb doing great considering the lack of sun up here, then within 3 weeks it was all over the blight took hold and no tomatoes. Thats 2 years on the trot now. Think I'll give them a miss next year. :(

8. thelittlegardeners

thelittlegardeners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup mine too, had to throw the lot away :-(

9. pimnimmin

Ratings:
    +0
    Gutting isn't it? Blight got my toms, frost got my potatoes and blackfly got my broadbeans. Think next year is time chemical warfare!