Blue badge holder - uproar

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Jan 8, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    A local Council is considering charging blue badge holders to use disabled spaces - it's all over the media - disability action groups condemning the proposal.

I can understand why designated disabled parking spaces are close to the amenities and wider than usual - but I have to ask - why should these spaces be provided free or charge?

Non disabled folk - including those on benefits - have to pay for parking spaces - what is the logic behind continuing to make disabled spaces free?

I'm all for equality - but it works both ways :smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
      Ratings:
      +857
      My wife has a blue badge because of disability. She does not get any benefits but the badge is very valuable to her.

Most car parks do and always have charged for using the spaces. So I’m unsure what the problem is.

Something else we have noticed is most supermarkets put the mother and baby spaces closer to the doors than the disabled ones. Can’t work that one out......

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +13,959
        Over here, the concept of disabled spaces was originally to provide access for wounded ex-combattants in the two world wars. That seems fair. They gave their youth and health for their country and it was their country's way of recognising the fact. Since then the scheme has been extended to other (severely) disabled people. I've no issue with them being given free priority near shops and offices, but I strongly object to the current trend of earmarking spaces for able-bodied people who choose to reproduce. If they're inconsiderate enough to take their yelling, screaming offspring into the public domain, they can walk!

• Funny Funny x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,996
          But those wider spaces probably helps prevent their kids swinging car doors into adjacent cars, which is no bad thing.

Maybe they should be herded into standard size parking bays so they can cover one anothers cars with dinks?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
          • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
            Ratings:
            +857
            Brilliant !!!!! :snorky::snorky::snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +13,959
              Oh yes....A separate area in car parks and a separate, sound-proofed area on planes.....:yes:

• Like Like x 1
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,618
                The same applies to the Severn Crossings - if you have a blue badge - you can get over for free - all the other plebs have to pay 6 quid a go. Mind you it's going to be free for everyone next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +117,283
                  And in shops :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
                  • noisette47

Ratings:
                    +13,959
                    In fact, it could go the same way as smoking......:roflol: It's strange, but the French seem to manage to raise their children to (mostly) be quiet, polite, well-behaved little sweethearts...apart from dinging cars of course :biggrin: (Trying hard to stay on topic, here....)

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +84,318
                      I see this kind of thing is rearing up again now that you can get a blue badge if your kids have some ailment.
                      Is it just me or do most kids these days seem to have some kind of problem, I suppose I dont understand but I tend to get fed up with all these strange new problems kids have.

And it was on the news tonight about someone getting in an argument about parking in a disabled space because their kids have autism, seems most kids have this these days, or am I being unkind?
                      Anyway, I thought the idea of disabled spaces was for people who have trouble getting around on their two legs?
                      Not able bodied and able to get around easily.

I go shopping on Saturday mornings and at 9 am have the lights go out in the shop, you can hardly read the labels on products, it's apparently done for kids with such problems that dont like bright lights and noise.

Things are getting really stupid

• Agree Agree x 4
                      • Informative Informative x 2
                      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                        Ratings:
                        +7,618
                        There are so many blue badges floating around - the disabled spaces are usually full. Sort of defeats the point of having blue badges if they are issued to one and all.

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,477
                          Just an FYI, I have an autistic grandson who is now 16 years old. When he was a toddler and had a younger sister, my daughter in law had a handicapped tag for her car because autistic kids run if given the chance. Being close to the shop and not far out in a parking lot gave her a better chance of keeping him and the baby in her control for the shorter distance. If he got the opportunity, he would have run like a wild colt and been squished by a car. Now he is older, he is manageable. I picked him up from school today and he didn't disobey me. Got in the van, put on his seatbelt, etc. But when young, it was a lot different. Quite a heart palpatating experience. I used to be pretty good at running to catch him. :)

• Informative Informative x 4
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            There seem to be an ever ongoing debate regarding Blue Badges.

The original legal requirement for a person to be issued with the parking badge basically depended upon the individual's inability to walk more than a few yards. The inability naturally included, having no legs. Added to this came the matter shall we call it physical stability. Then pain caused by the effort of walking.

We now find that GP's tend to direct patients toward applying for a badge, for all sorts of reasons. The system at present is. Application is made to ones local council.

They will automatically grant a badge if the applicant is in reciept of Mobility allowance. Otherwise the council has the right to have you medically examined. This enables people who are over the age for applying for mobility allowance. In all cases where the criteria is met. A badge will be issued to the disabled person, whetherornot they can actually drive.

Badgeholders who get mobility allowance. Are exempt from paying vehicle excise licence (road tax). Their vehicle is exempt from the congestion charge areas, tolls such as for the Dartford crossing and others. Until the tax disc was done away with. Checks made at for instance Dartford Crossing, the tax disc would be checked. If your car was exempt from duty, it would state, 'Class. DISABLED. Badge holders whose disc read, PRIVATE etc had to pay.
                            In some car parks this basic was applied, even if using a marked disabled bay.

It was brought in recently that Police and council parking attendants can now ask to examine ones blue badge. Recent talks are ongoing to inclue mentally ill persons to be allowed blue badges.

• Informative Informative x 4
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +117,283
                              I look after some disabled people. None of them have driving licences as they are not physically able to drive a car but have the badge so that their transport can use it. I take one of them shopping and try to drop him at the door of the supermarket and then park in a normal bay if there is one nearby. If not, then I park in a disabled bay. He is not able to to stand without support for enough time for me to park further away. So people without cars can get blue badges.

He does have a mobility scooter and had to have a road fund licence tax disc for it, free of charge. This meant filling in all the same details that you would need for applying for car tax. We even had to put down the equivalent of a VIN number as the scooter didn't have a number plate. We still have to fill in a renewal form each year although there is no disc anymore. :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +9,230
                                Exactly @shiney .

My mum thankfully (!!) gave up driving 5 years ago. This year we finally managed to get a disabled badge for her, which makes life so much easier. Anyone who takes her out, can use the badge, if she is not in the car, we would be fined for misuse. She cannot walk very far, even with assistance. When she panics, she leans too far forward, and falls over. She does not have the strength to pick up her feet when she walks. She needs to lean on a wall or a person if standing still. She finds public spaces panic-inducing.

For years, I have had to park outside front doors of hospitals, shops etc, run around and get her out, lean her against a wall, run back and find a parking space, and hope that in her confusion, she has not wandered off too far, in a random direction.

I too am mystified why “mums and babies” slots are more numerous, and nearer to the entrance, than the disabled spaces....

• Agree Agree x 4