1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Morning Glory, what will happen in winter?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fimonkey, Sep 7, 2005.

1. fimonkey

fimonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again.

I've also got some blue morning glory growing up a trellis in my garden, it's planted in a plater as the trellis sits on concrete. (Beautiful blue flowers, and I recently realised it has new flowers every day! wonderful).

What happens to this plant as we go into winter? Is it an annual or perennial, does it loose it's leaves, and when does it stop flowering?

So many questions I know, but I am very very grateful for your help.

Fi

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi, fimonkey,
    No not hardy here as far as I know. I save seed from mine each year to sow for following year. They are easy. [​IMG]

3. fimonkey

fimonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply, Am learning a whole new language with my attampt at gardening. I'm guessing 'not hardy' means they will die during winter? What/how will this happen (do they just start to drop their leaves) and at what time of the year?
    Also where are the seeds and how would I collect them?
    I live in Bournemouth so enjoy quite a mild climate.
    Many thanks once again.

Fi

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi fi welcome,
    They usually last till the first frosts, then they just die back. The seeds form after the flower petals drop off the flower head. Pick the seed heads off when they change colour & store in a labelled envelope in a cool dry place. I think I uasally sow around end feb/march You could do this on a window sill) to plant out May time.
    Bournmouth is mild as you say, I lived there many years ago for a while as a child, so you may gey away with it over the winter with some protection, but I would hold my breath on that.
    Hope that helps. :D

[ 07. September 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hardy refers to the plants ability to survive the winter, esp frosts.