1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blueberries excessive growth???

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by amateurmick, Aug 19, 2013.

1. amateurmick

amateurmick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

My first post so treat me gently please, I have two blueberry bushes about three years old in 12" containers, they have fruited reasonably well this year but now are throwing off shoots from all over the plant (ie not the base) these shoots are up to 18" long and are in effect almost doubling the size of the plant. Please advise as follows:-

1. Is this excessive
    2. How much to prune off when the plant goes dormant

all contributions gratefully received.

thanks
    Mike

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome.

Sounds like normal healthy growth to me. Have you been feeding it and if so, what with? A nitrogen rich fertiliser like you'd use on the lawn or leafy veg would make lots of soft growth, but even so, 18" shoots on a 3 year old blueberry bush sounds ok to me. Mine put on about that much in a year.

As for pruning, I'd wait for someone else to advise, or look it up on the RHS site, because I'm not that good at it to be honest. Mostly I just cut out any shoots aiming inwards, any crossing over, anything that looks about dead, and about 1/3rd off any that are aiming straight for the sky.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • amateurmick

Ratings:
        +0

• amateurmick

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Clueless & Dave,
        Appreciate replies, was aware of RHS website but as normal with these sites pretty good on what to do but not so good on what to expect.
        My main reason for posting was that for the past three summers the plant had only shown minimal growth although fruiting reasonably well then "bang" the last month it has gone mad. I have mulched every year with pine needles and fed with ericaceous feed but never before this rate of growth. I was considering potting on this autumn so maybe it's trying to tell me something.

Thanks for replies I'll suck it and see.

Mike

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Unlike 2011 and 2012, this year we have actually had a summer. If you've been feeding and watering your bluebs as you say you have, then just add warmth and sunshine and you have everything you need for excellent growth rate:)

• Agree Agree x 1