1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blueberries in containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by jaci, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jaci

jaci Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered 3 different cultivars of blueberry in 1 litre pots and am now going to reveal myself as the idiot who bought 3 15" deep x 20" circumference and 3 x 80 litre bags of ericaceous compost to plant them in. It has now occurred to me that I might have been a bit excessive. Apart from anything else, it cost the earth. Could some kind soul please tell me if I am being quite ridiculous to plant them in these pots ad would it harm them, or should they be put them in progressively larger ones starting with, say, 2 litre pots? Perhaps I can take the pots and compost back to Homebase.

Any advice on the subject would be much welcomed.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Blueberries do well in containers. I would put them in the big pots, just make sure you have some drainage at the bottom and give them some bark mulching at the top. They like a sunny position, so the larger pots will help to keep them from drying out too quickly in summer. Rainwater is better for watering.
    If you have whole bags left over, I expect they'd exchange them if not refund your money.
    [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    if you have some old polystyrene packaging - break that up and put it in the bottom for drainage, as it's nice and light - if not, have a hunt round your garden and bung in some stones to do the same job. And whatever else you do - DON'T try to carry it!!!! Get a trolley, or several nice strong men! I'm no feminist when it comes to carrying heavy loads, mne! :D :D

4. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i d agree with above, you can use the pots for other plants while the blueberries grow

5. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    best thing to do is put the pots into position first, then put compost in, then plant.
    get some SWELL GEL add to compost, this absorbes 20 times more water and releases it slowly, so less watering!