blueberry plants - help please

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sheelaghm, Oct 20, 2009.

1. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cnfs: I bought two plants this year as I love blueberry muffins and grew them in pots. They look healthy so I'm hoping for a crop next year. However I need to put them in larger containers and don't know when I should do this - now or spring? We're on the south coast and have mild winters if that makes any difference. Do I need to cover with fleece if there is a threat of frost? Thanks Sheelagh

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    I's say do it now. The plants will be slowing down for winter now so the transplant will be less traumatic for them. Put them in ericaceous compost, pat them in nice and secure, and give them a good soaking.

I doubt they'll need frost protection. Mine has been outside since I got it several years ago and has had little done to it, yet it thrives. We're up north, and with the pennines being just a few miles to the west of us, if the wind blows the right way in winter it can get quite cold in winter. The only thing I'd be slightly worried about if I was on the coast would be if winter gales come along and bombard your garden with salty spray that's been picked up off the sea.

3. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks clueless, I'll get it done this week if it stops raining that is. We don't tend to suffer from salt issues as we're up the estuary slightly and therefore protected from the worst of coastal weather. Nice views too. Thanks again, roll on blueberry muffins! Sheelagh