Blueberry plants no longer cropping

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Nor, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Nor

Nor Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I've had the following blueberry plants for around 8 years now, and I've noticed that over the past one or two years, they have stopped producing flowers and cropping. I bought them as tiny plants in a set of 3 from b&q, and one any died. I think they are the Bluecrop variety.

This year I moved them to slightly bigger pots in erecacous compost and cut out most of the old woody stems. They put on lots of new growth, but produced no flowers at all this year. I have been feeding them with seaweed feed.

Are the plants too old now? Do they need to be replaced?

Thank you in advance for your advice

1600764477245559697424418056100.jpg

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

They do look quiet small for 8 year old plants, Bluecrop should grow to about 2 mtrs tall. wonder if your previous smaller pots have kept them that way?

We put ours in 40 ltr tubs after the second year.

Found that our six plants , three different varieties, gave very little fruit this year, not sure why, just happens some years...? yet for all the other soft fruit its been one of the best years !

Worth seeing what happens next year , if nothing, get some fresh stock ?

3. Nor

Nor Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for the advice. I didn't realize the plants got that big. Maybe I need to put them in bigger pots.

It's reassuring that yours also didn't fruit much this year, but I haven't much or hardly any fruit for the last few years. I think I think I read somewhere that blueberry bushes need replacing every few years, but not sure if I remember correctly?

I will give them another year to see if they fruit.

I've seen some blueberry 'duke' bushes on offer online, I'm wondering whether to get them just in case. Do you know if this variety is reliable?

Thank you

4. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,078
    Im thinking as they flower on last years growth yours will be fine next year. Some tomorite in spring will help too.

5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop.
    Though said to give a succession of fruit, found they all came together, perhaps our shorter, more northern climate ?
    Buy Blueberry - All Season Collection | J Parker Dutch Bulbs