Blueberry Plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Caz, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Caz

Caz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted my blueberry plant last year, had a few flowers, they dropped off, and it didn't produce any fruit. Not a problem, I thought, as I didn't expect much success on my first go..

Plant survived the winter, and has now turned from a twig into a luscious plant with white flowers on. I have it situated in a sunny spot, and haven't fed it to date.

Any tips / advice from blueberry growers to help me grow a crop?

2. johnny boy

johnny boy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Blueberries need lots of water but preferably rain water if you can rather than from a tap or hose. Add a fertiliser too - generic compound fertiliser is fine. Blueberries like an acidic soil best so check your ph and to keep low add a mulch.

Good luck.

johnny boy
    www.thevegetablebed.co.uk

3. Caz

Caz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Johnny boy! Much appreciated.

4. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have neutral ph in my garden, I've got 10 Blueberries, some in pots and some in the ground. I try to water with rainwater most of the time but sometimes it has to be tap water. I feed them about 4 times a year with liquid ericasious feed (miraclegrow). half of them are lowland blueberries (lose thier leaves in winter) and half are highland blueberries (retain leaves with smaller fruit). Last year I had a large crop most of which I froze. As well as muffins try blueberry pancakes with syrup and whipped cream - food to die for!! Good luck, it's definately worth the trouble.

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    My Blueberry bush is showing promise for the first time this year. It spent two years in my bindweed infested garden where it didn't do very much. Then last autumn I evacuated it to a large container on the patio while I blitzed the whole garden with Round-Up to get rid of the bindweed. Now it is a vision of health, and totally decked out in white flowers.

6. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can I say that I purchased a blueberry plant from Wilkinsons a few weeks ago for £3! I've re-potted it, and it has loads and loads of flowers! I can't wait until the fruit comes!

I did see some for £1 at the weekend, but I think they were even beyond my help!

7. butterflies

butterflies Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a blueberry plant from Homebase for £1.99, its quite small but has lots of while flowers it seems to be doing well so far and has come a long way from the dinky little specimen it was :yho: not sure what will come of it but i love blueberries so any tips are greatfully recieved!

8. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Oh, oh, I feel so inspired by your comments. I just LOVE blueberries, but when I looked at them in the catalogues, they were very expensive. Now I have discovered that you can pick them up for a couple of pounds. I shall be checking out B&Q, Homebase, Wilkinsons and such-like places on my travels this weekend.

9. butterflies

butterflies Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My local homebase still has some, they're in a cardboard square tube type thing. I was over the moon with the price! :yho:

10. Caz

Caz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, new problem with the blueberries - the flowers have dropped off... as they did last year... help!

11. markp

markp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    For blueberries to do well there needs to be at least two blueberry bushes in the garden, preferably of different varieties.
    This assists with pollination and produces a much heavier crop.

If you can get hold of pine mulchings, this is quite acidic and will also benefit the plants.

12. Garry

Garry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my wife a medium sized blueberry last month as she loves eating the fruit on her breakfast. It looks like I will have to get another to aid in the pollination. I will have a look this weekend at B&Q.

13. butterflies

butterflies Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I never knew this so thank you! :thumb: I've been looking around and have seen some different varieties for less than £10 for very healthy looking bushes and some for less than £5 which quite frankly look nothing near as good as my £1.99 bargain. So i would like to acchieve with the so i'm off to but another! :gnthb: