1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bolting Broccoli & mouldy marrows

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Moopants, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Moopants

Moopants Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Two questions :

I just got back from a five days in France to discover one of my broccoli has bolted but the one next to it is fine.

The one that has bolted is covered in caterpillars but they dont seem to be eating it. Wondered if that was why.

I cant find the packet to see what kind it is exactly but its the kind that looks like stumpy trees not on the end of stalks.

Bit sad as it was my most promising broccoli. Not really sure what to do now.

AFAIK the weather hasnt been great or that warm either, compared to before I went.

Is it a goner or is there hope? Should I just leave it to the caterpillars?

Also A few of my courgettes seem to be turning into marrows but the tips where the flowers were and about an inch below are all soggy, squishy and mouldy. What could be causing this? How can I stop it?

Thank you :D

2. Bimble

Bimble Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    Just been outside to find one of my courgettes has done the exact same thing in regards to mould, not checked them for a couple of days due to other things that needed doing.

I can only guess its due to the dead flower becoming over wet in the weather and going bad or rotting into the end of the courgette, I've removed it, and discarded a couple of other dead flowers to see if it is a problem with out them.

Anyway, you're not on your own. :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,637
    Regarding the mushy marrows/courgettes, its usually due to not being pollinated.

As to the broccoli, ????:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • Bimble

Bimble Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      Pete thats interesting :thumb:

I've been hand pollinating my courgettes, perhaps I've missed one in my rushing. :dunno:

• Moopants

Moopants Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Pete, they were huge tho, I'd asked someone to cut them off while I'd been away and they didnt. They were just about perfect before I left so I doubt it was a pollination problem. I wondered if it was more like bimble said and the wet flowers rotted the end.