Bonchi attempt

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Artylarry, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Artylarry

Artylarry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,
    Novice gardener inspired by a post I saw to save my chilli plants.
    Had a 4 set from tesco which grew well outside and have brought 3 in, cleaned and pruned rootball and planted in bonsai mud.
    One is thriving, one showing some signs of life and one I think had it.
    Any tips from now on?
    I want to pot good one in bonsai pot as think tub its in is too big don't want it oversized, will this hurt it so soon now it's growing well?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Artylarry

Ratings:
      +6
      Well I went ahead and potted them in bonsai pots, they looking cute at mo. They are in various stages of growth.
      3 are definitely alive and kicking

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Looking good, be interesting to see them come on :)

• Like Like x 1
        • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,770
          Very nice Artylarry.

Not the way I do it myself but the same desired outcome can be reached through different routes.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Artylarry

Ratings:
            +6
            Thank you both, MisterQ I'd love to hear your advice on how you'd do it and how you will proceed.
            Or any others?

• misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,770
            Much of bonsai growing is mainly just basic horticulture in that you are trying to raise a strong and healthy plant. The artistic shaping accounts for only a small part of it.

After hard pruning the chilli plant, I would let it grow wild in a cheap training container (can be any container with good drainage) to make it adapt to growing in a lower depth of soil.

The new growth is needed in order to reveal the plant's shape characteristic so that a suitable bonsai pot size, shape and colour can be selected to complement it - so, tailoring the pot to suit the plant and not the other way around.

After potting into the bonsai pot, you then clip and train the plant to accentuate the characteristic that you first identified.

Chilli stems and branches are quite brittle when mature so you must decide early on (when they are young, thin and green) which stems/branches you intend to train by wiring/anchoring/suspended weights etc.

But, for the time being, just continue as-is with the basic horticulture.

• Like Like x 1