1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Border and privacy removed by neighbours

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bfm, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Bfm

Bfm Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone. We have been living in our new home for a number of years and have enjoyed a really mature private garden. Despite neither of us being particularly green fingered it was a huge selling point for us - especially with young children.

Fast forward 5 years and we have new neighbours. They immediately removed the border between us. It consisted of mixed shrubs and hedging along with climbers such as ivy. It was a really dense mature border and provided great privacy and the wildlife loved it.

Now all that separates us is a small ranch style fence. It was disappointing to see the border go and felt like they could have told us of there plans. Perhaps I have no right to get annoyed about it? Would it annoy you? My wife says I'm turning into an old grump but being able to spend an afternoon in the garden with the kids in complete privacy was fantastic.

That said, our new neighbours are a young family and absolutely lovely so I don't want to upset them by undoing the work they did and planting something of my own but... I really really want that privacy back. I know I'm within my rights to plant what I like (within the confines of the high hedges act) but I'm trying to be considerate for them too.

How would you approach this? I don't want to sound like an old grumpy man and I want to continue having a good relationship with our neighbours as we plan on staying here for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      You could say its been great that theyve cut back the border thus allowing more light in and that your looking forward to planting some nice young plants to grow up against the fence.

Charm them and make them think theyve done you a favour .

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,936
        Yes, it would definitely upset me too, I love having a private garden, and especially when it's good for wildlife too, it does seem such a shame to have completely removed it all, rather than just prune it.
        I think you'd be fine to plant what you want to on your side, and it's lovely that you're being considerate towards them too. Maybe try and have a chat with them about your plans and explain that you want to put some plants in, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. You'd be able to reassure them that it's not going to be anything too imposing or whatever and just go from there?

• Like Like x 3
        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          Were the original plants yours or the previous owner's?

I definitely wouldn't want a ranch style fence.
          I'd put a 6ft post and panel fence up, have a border with some low level plants and grow others up it.

You could suggest it's for mutual security as a ranch style fence will be ineffective in that regard, whereas what was there previously was.

• Like Like x 2
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,623
            Count your blessings - good neighbours make all the difference :dbgrtmb:.

I'd tend to go for willow screening - attach to the existing fence - and then plant behind - cheap - quick - instant privacy :spinning:.

• Like Like x 2
            • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
              +10,302
              Hi clanless he would need the fence owners consent to do that,

Personally i wouldn't say anything to them just do the planting make sure its all on your side and no one can take it away from you again.

• Agree Agree x 4
              • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,830
                Were the plants that they cut down on their side of the boundary? If so I don't think there is anything that you can do about it. If it was a boundary hedge, then your views are important. I would be upset in this situation too. You could replant on your side of the boundary, which is what I would do, something like privet which is evergreem and fairly quick growing. But it is a shame that they have soured an otherwise good relationship, which can probably never be mended. :sad: You have been upset by their actions and rightly so IMO. What a shame they are not more thoughtful of other people. BTW, this happened to me once many years ago so I know how you feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  It can be 2m high without the need for planning permission, allowing an additional 6.75 inches in height, easily achieved by adding a board under the panels.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Bfm

Bfm Gardener

Ratings:
                    +20
                    Hi everyone. thank you for all your replies and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Just to add, the plants belonged to the neighbour so I know they haven't done anything wrong and I honestly believe they meant no harm - as frustrating as it may be :)

I think I will follow the advice here and plant something on my side. On the plus side I get to experiment with planting in a fully shaded area of the garden :)

A friend has recommended laurel hedging. I've just looked briefly and it seems like a good fit. I like the look of the Portuguese Laurel as it doesn't seem to grow quite as quickly.

Would you guys have a better suggestion or is my friend spot on?

Thanks again folks

• Like Like x 3
                    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                      Ratings:
                      +10,533
                      Sometime it is needed to have a "wall" build, or border between neighbors. good luck. Privacy is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,089
                        Ive got a 90m section of laurel. Plus points zero disease and minmal maintenance.

Minus points, boring plant,sucks all the goodness out of the soil,and when it needs hard pruned and it will it leaves great big chunks of trunk in view.

It does regenerate quickly though.

Ive also got 100m of beech,more interesting,birds hide in it,needs cut once in August.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Hello @Bfm knowing which side of the property is yours to attend is always the most important thing but if they seem a couple friendly enough...Don't upset the apple cart as the saying goes :)

Me personally would just put down a nice boarder of slow growing hedge so you can keep on top of it nicely and keep it then to the height and width you'd like it at.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            :ideaIPB:

border wall.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,830
                              Laurel is not much good for wildlife. I would plant a mixed hedge, say 50% hawthorn with privet, holly, wild roses, hazel, field maple, spindle mixed in. You could increase the evergreens.

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
                              +93
                              Did they remove them to open the garden up, or did they remove them because they didn't like those particular plants? When I moved in here the first thing that went was a 6ft conifer because I just don't like them, and I'm still working on the 90ft long privet hedge!

Perhaps they will be replanting with other things for privacy? Or if not, or maybe if they aren't that clued up on what sort of plants to try, you could chat with them about the sort of things you'd like to put in so that they can enjoy them as well.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1