1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Border edging ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mishka Grizzly, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Mishka Grizzly

Mishka Grizzly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi cherished gardeners,

I wonder if anyone would suggest border edging ideas for the newly planted plants.

I want to create a simple edge between the plants and the lawn, doesn't need to be tall, just enough to have mulch, bark not pouring down the lawn.
    As you see in the photo there is a bit of slope between the fence and the lawn and it's sloping downwards.

I am after something very simple that does not requite drilling, cementing as we are not that DIY handy. Basically something that looks good and requires minimum effort even if it costs more :)

Attached Files:

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    edging.JPG In our previous garden we used Block pavers, stood upright to give height. Or, we have used the concrete edging slabs ( not sure what they are called properly). Neither of these needs anything other than digging a trench, a string to make sure they are all the same level and a bit of work.

• Like Like x 3
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Much depends upon whether the bed/border is higher than the lawn. If the bed/border is higher. Then perhaps some kind of raised edging.

If Bed/border are roughly the smae level. Then forget edging boards or fancy decorative bits and bobs. Simply cut a good edge and on the bed/border side, a shallow edge can be made with a draw hoe. The lawn can then be cut, allowing the mower to overlap the edge, whereas if some edging material is used. The cutting blades of the mower cannot trim the edge.

That's my final answer. I won't phone a friend etc. Smile. Do I get my 1m £ now ???????????

• Like Like x 1