1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Ivy?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by accidentalgardener, Nov 25, 2007.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi friends,

Extension finished but I want to hide the fascia at the front, now the question is this:

Does Boston Ivy undermine pointing (the gentleman up the path says it does). I like the look of it and wondered if I kept it in check would it be suitable?

I like the spectacular look of it and really can't think of another fast climber that is robust and will grow in the shade........

The cottage down the road has it and it looks rather lovely.

I have a Wisteria but it will be a while before it establishes itself over that area. Any idea's friends?

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    that was quick paula, bet it looks great, that reminds me we never see any pics [​IMG]

3. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    YDD,

I am very remiss I know, it's just having the time to download them from my DC to my PC then PB before GC :D :D :D

It was very quick I have to say but I was giving the builders and roofers loads of home made soup and on the last day they had veggie dhal and grilled chicken, now the question is did they finish so quick because of my cooking or was it out of appreciation [​IMG] :D now Dee, whats your take on Boston Ivy?

And LoL if you read this thread I haven't forgotten I owe you a pick of myself just haven't transferred it to PC yet [​IMG]

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I had a boston ivy beside my passion flower, lovely plant but it took over so i cut it to ground level, the root systems like a small tree trunk and still grows so i keep hacking it back :rolleyes:

DC PC PB GC Brilliant :D as for your cooking paula im sure it was delicious [​IMG]

5. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    YDD

As you think my cooking may be good how bout i throw some poached salmon and roasted vedge at the laptop screen and you lick it your end, ooeeer maybe the stress of it all has really got to me eh :D

Probably better if i pm a few recipes to you :D

Random off the wall idea's which have no place in reality pop into my head at will. If only my clients knew :D

I do like the idea of the Boston Ivy, unless I get any info over the next couple of days i will probably get some. After all i do catch the ball and run with it :D [​IMG] if you want to kill yours why dont you cut an X in it with an axe and then put some root kill on it [​IMG]

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I think ill do that Paula, good idea.. does'e it have to be an X what about a Z or a P :D guess whose being silly tonight :eek: funny thing is its only when your here :D

7. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am infectious DEE :D ,

Can you imagine what we would be like on a day out [​IMG] :D

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Paula, You got it wrong (again). Char-grilled salmon emailed to me with char-grilled asparagus and saute potatoes (in butter) is the order of the day.

Actually I am only dreaming now 'cos I was at the hospital on Thursday as a patient. I reckoned I had furious bowel syndrome but the teenage registrar who examined me (and did a very good job of it, blood test, blood pressure test, x-ray, urine and yuk test, and a tube where I won't say) told me it was only irritable so just watch my eating of rich food and only drink martini by the half litre. (Presumably he meant twice as many). :( :(

I can't decide whether to shoot myself or eat myself to death.

9. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    John my man, i would say how the devil are you but not been so good eh :(

Forget irritable or furious and go straight for explosively angry, don't do things by halves :D

As per the martini issue, i think he meant sip by the 1/2 litre so worry not :D :D , or alternate with something healthier such as squash otherwise known to some of us as creme de menthe [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hope you get sorted john [​IMG] Dee

11. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ere DEE,

I'nt it strange where threads can unravel to says she with no legs left on her thermals :D

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    :D :D :D mad woman... good mad [​IMG]

13. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Paula. Why did you leave on your thermals when you have no legs? I've heard of she who must be obeyed (Mrs Sarra) but she with no legs.... :confused: :confused:

14. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    John [​IMG]

The feet still move tho so figure that one out :D

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Re the ivy, if the pointing is sound then no problem but...

You will get mice climbing up it and geting in to the loft.

Also, it will need trimming atleast twice a year once established. I tend to use a paint s****er to sever individual fronds and s****e them off then hedge trim the sides.