Bougainvillaea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ricpop, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Ricpop

Ricpop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the best type of potting compost to pot a bougainvillaea into. I've just bought one mail order and it'll have to move indoors I'm the winter hence the pot: I know it grows best in volcanic rubble in sunnier climes but not sure you can get that over hear. Would also appreciate any tips from anyone who's got one.
    Cheers.
    Richard

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] Richard.. Well I use John Innes #3, with either grit or bark chippings to aid drainage & I find this is fine. They like a PH of about 6.5.. They need good drainage as they do not like to be cool & damp... :thumbsup:

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,921
    :) Hello Richard and welcome to GC.

I am here in the south of Portugal and have five climbing, three intertwined, one shrub and one tri-colour Bonsai Bougainvillea.

I'm not sure about the volcanic soil ... :shocked: ... because ours grow in red clay with no feeding and little watering even though we go through at least four months in the summer without rain. If you overfeed a Bougainvillea you will have lush leaves and no colour (ie, the brachts) so beware! I do not feed mine at all.

I'm sure someone from the UK will come along and tell you how theirs thrives.

It would be useful to know where in the UK you live and where you plan to keep this plant.

Good luck.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,404
    Well I've had recent success with growing them in a very sandy compost with very little nutrient.
    As Victoria said, I found they take a long time to flower if they get rich soil.
    A few good feeds in the summer to couteract the lack of nutient in the pot seems to do the job.
    I'm thinking of planting one out this year near a south facing wall and giving it winter protection.
    Got a feeling I might just get masses of growth and little flower, but I will be planting it in some poor soil with a bit of rubble added.

Its just an experiment.:)

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    I use a multi purpose with added perlite (for drainage) and they grow well. I don't feed and they don't need any volcanic rubble or similar if you are growing in pots.