1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bougainvillea leaf problem ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by HarryS, May 13, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have kept my standard bougainvillea in the house all winter . I pruned it in Feb , everything grew back OK and it looked very healthy all the leaves were glossy and green. A week ago I move it outside it is in a pot inside an insulated planter , and each night I have covered it with a fleece.
    Yesterday I noticed some of the leaves were looking a bit droopy , and have a white bloom on them as shown in the photo . Is this due to temperature shock and will it go away , or is it something more serious ? Should I move it back indoors for a couple of weeks ?
    I have moved it to the most sheltered bit of the garden out of the prevailing wind. As it did get a good battering in the wind a couple of nights ago.
    TIA

[​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Harry, its probably the shock of going outside.
    They can be touchy I find. Especially with the "spring" we have been getting.

Gentle easing into outside conditions is best, except if you wait till mid summer.
    My outdoor one is just getting a move on, but the one in the greenhouse is going to stay there until it warms up.

Hope it doesn't drop all its leaves:frown:

3. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Thanks Pete , the B. has gone downhill over the last 8 hours ! The white bloom on the leaves has now made them shrivel , as in the photo below. I have brought it back into the house and put it in the spare bedroom , which is relatively cool.
    If it does drop its leaves , would it have a chance of coming back from this ?

[​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I'm thinking it should recover but might get a bit of die back.

Its just not warmed up enough for a house grown plant to go outside.
    I've even seen similar damage of foliage on plants grown indoors and then put outside in full sun.
    In fact it could actually be sun scorch if it was growing fairly shaded in doors.

5. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Pete , thanks for the advice~ I have kept the B. in the house all week . seems like it may have been sun or wind scorch ( I must have missed the sun ! ) Just the outer layers of leaves have shrivelled and died . Do you think I should prune back to healthy growth ? and then introduce it to the great outdoors in early June :scratch:

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    :) Hello Harry

Sorry to hear of / see your problem. Two of my friends here have encountered various ailments with their Bougainvilleas although I have been lucky with all of mine to date.

Here is a link which may be of some help to you in the future.

http://www.bgi-usa.com/kb/pests-diseases/

7. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Oi !Victoria no Link !:gaah::snork:

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    • Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Thanks for the link Victoria :blue thumb: I have been through the items , none seem to match my problem . I am hoping it is what Pete thought , sun and wind burn on tender leaves . I am going to prune back to healthy growth and get it back outside in a sheltered shady spot.
      I seem to be suffering the 7 plagues of Egypt this year . Lost all my Nemesia , 75% of my Salvias and the Thunbergia are on deaths row.:mad: Never really had problems before.