BOUGAINVILLEAS

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by fred mason, Apr 2, 2015.

1. fred mason

fred mason Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo, I live in newcastle upon tyne, North East. I have grown bougainvilleas from seed and the plants are now 2 years old. I succeded growing 9, but only have 5 left. they range from 3 to 9 inches in height, but are not very full with leaves etc. I want to improve growth rate and size, can anyone give some advice please. I have pics attached .
    Many thanks,

Fred Mason

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,316
    Hey Fred, never grown them from seed.
    I'm guessing you know they like sunshine and warmth, especially in the summer.

They dont normally do much during the winter months unless you have a warm conservatory or greenhouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,240
      I didn't know seed was available. I know they only set seed in the tropics but I have always grown them from cuttings. They must have full light, mine are in a SW facing conservatory and I have only just started feeding even though they are flowering now. I have always stopped them at around 9" high to encourage branching. Over potting can cause a slow down in growth and rot.
      If I didn't have a greenhouse or (recently) a conservatory I wouldn't grow them.

• Like Like x 1
      • fred mason

Ratings:
        +0

• fred mason

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for your comments, I bought the seed in Cala Dor on holiday 2 years ago.
        I have taken a cutting from my tallest plant and it seems ok.
        I have them in the house at the moment.
        How often do you water them, and I intend putting them in my unheated greenhouse later in the Summer. any more suggestions please . Thanks Fred