1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Blight - Thoughts? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Kristen, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I took some 800 cuttings of Box a couple of years ago, and they are approaching being ready for planting. The threat of Box Blight looms though ...

I've seen a couple of episodes of Gardeners World where it was discussed; Monty had Box Blight on his border hedges, and cut out the effected area with the intention of nursing them back to health. This week at Wisley they recommended getting rid of the effected plants completely - and that they had not had any other areas infected since doing that.

Seems like Russian roulette!

I have also read that Box should be trimmed on/around Derby Day, and that avoiding trimming later reduces the risk of infection. Also that the hedge should only be trimmed in the middle of a decent spell of dry weather (a week or so). This perhaps means that hedges look shaggy from August to following June? (Or maybe on a mature hedge this is only an inch of so of new growth and looks attractive?)

The recent wet summers cannot have helped - my neighbour has Box Blight, and they have a beautifully tended garden.

The commonly quoted alternative is Japanese Box (actually a Holly - Ilex crenata), but I don't have a useful source of that from which to take 1,000 or so cuttings!

Plan A, at the moment, is to sell the Box Cuttings on eBay and use the money to buy some Ilex crenata :)

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Box Blight scares me....i only have a small hedge that has taken 3 years to start resembling a hedge:frown:...then i removed a large shrub which meant i needed to plant more Box to 'finish 'the hedge...it's taking an age to catch up:frown: couldn't afford to get new ones the same size as the others so had to make do....i can just imagine getting it just how i want it then Blight will strike:th scifD36:....
    I've been wanting another dwarf hedge in another part of the garden but i'm thinking of using Lonicera Nitida....what do you think:blue thumb:...i like the sound of the Ilex crenata now:rolleyespink:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    I saw that last episode of GW on iplayer, it's quite frightening really. Made me go and have a good look at my box hedging and wonder if it's a good idea. Ilex crenata is extremely slow growing and very expensive to buy (unless you know better?) so I don't think that's a practical alternative and was quite surprised they mentioned it. I've no actual experience of growing it though, only what I read. Yew seems a much better bet?

4. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I saw that programme too and has John says Yew was mentioned as another alternative. Yew always worries me as it is supposedly poisoness to animals. I couldn't have any in my garden as Amber chews wood off any plant she can get hold of. I couldn't take the risk but can see it could work for others. I think over the years the greatest threat was for cattle being near yew hedges.

5. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the Yew idea but i'm in the same boat as Moyra...I've stripped the lower branches off my Yew tree as the dogs and chooks were too interested in it...doesn't look great but it's quite well hidden:blue thumb:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Interesting ... I have heard of Ilex crenata being used for Parterres (as an alternative to Box) often, didn't know it was very slow (Box isn't fast, so I presume you mean its slower than that even ... maybe more like the dwarf box - which I think is B. suffruticosa? In which case it might be a good alternative for really low hedges, but I don't plan on having any of those!)

I saw GW mention Yew. I'm a fan of yew ... but for a hedge that is only 18" - 24" high is it really a contender? I suppose it can be clipped every month to keep it "tight"

I've found Ilex crenata for £2.86 for 20-30cm, and I reckon Box would only be under £2 at 10-20cm height ... so maybe not that different?. Trouble is ... I need 1,000 plants or so ... (hence nicking cuttings from somewhere would be my first choice!!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      I think with box its needs sunshine and free flowing air movement to grow best,
      At Monty''s garden he must have over a mile of it and most in shade of the trees and all those high hedges doesnt help either.

Loli I cant remember the name of the shrub , but it comes in silver and gold so I will have a nose about , and find it for you its easy from cuttings and cheap to but Ilex Crenata is very slow growing that what they use for Cloud trees now you know why they cost Thousands to buy .

How much of a area are you wanting ??

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,474
        Forgive my stupidity, but is box the bog standard hedging that you would see in almost any street in the land?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Yes (well, could be many other things, such as Privet :), but there is loads of Box planted in gardens)

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,474
        Wow, thanks Kristen - I always thought of it as such a hardy thing - didn't realise that it could suffer from blight!

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        About 25ft Spruce....how slow is 'slow growing'...:dbgrtmb:

• Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,320
        Loli that could cost a loli £ for 25 feet

Like very slow, Ilex Crenata they use it for bonsai as well.

Spruce

• Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,320
        Hi Loli

Just checked "Euonymus" comes in different colours and depending on the variety different heights so you would have to check which would be more suitable but easy to grow and evergreen .

With the Nitida the gold one I think is best

Spruce

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks Spruce...the Ilex is off the menu then:frown:
        I love the Euonymus but i'm a bit bothered it may go straggely as it's a semi shaded site:frown:....yes i like the Baggessons (sp) gold:dbgrtmb:

• Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,320
        Does it get any full sun and how long if it does a day ??

Baggessons gold wont go realy gold in the shade just so you know.

Spruce