1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bracken

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by skrumpy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody any tips on keeping bracken under control without resorting to chemicals? Part of my garden borders a field with bracken growing on the farmers side of the hedge which naturally creeps through up into my patch. Last year I resorted to walking round every day chopping out the young bracken growth as it appeared which took about half an hour each day and was a real pain. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Stop cutting!! Bend the stems to weaken them (use your foot) as they come through in spring and through the season. It slowly weakens them then in the autumn cut off and compost them. The more you cut the more they are stimulated to grow! We use an old lawn roller here in we(s)t Wales!!!

3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that advice - seems logical. Problem is most of the young shoots come up through a lawned area which gets mown every week or so throughout the growing season so they are cut anyway. s'pose I'll have to live with it or bite the bullet and spray with something. Anybody any suggestions?