1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bramble problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flowerpotty, Nov 5, 2008.

1. flowerpotty

flowerpotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bramble growing from under a hedge and in a rockery I need to get rid of. Anybody know the best herbicide to use? Tried roundup but did not work very well. I have cut it all back as far as possible, and when it starts to regrow I need to apply something that will killthe roots as well as the top growth.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Try SBK brushwood killer.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    Cut it back, wait for small amount of regrowth and squirt with roundup. and again. and again.... it will die but brambles are a real pain.

4. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    flowerpotty.

I asked the same question back in May this year as I was suffering with brambles.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14086

I sprayed the growing tips with Round-Up and covered them with polythene bags to protect them from the elements. It was a continual process of reapplying whenever I saw new shoots but I'm happy to say that things are well under control and i've only two small sprouts left.

I think it's still going to be an ongoing battle but i'm glad to say it's one that i'm finally winning.

Ant.

5. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Trace it back to the roots and dig/pull it out... as long as you get the main growing points out , it won't come back.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'd go with the SBK. Not sure it will be effective at this time of the year. Keep an eye on it and spray it in the Spring when it really starts growing:)

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    SBK, but try and dig out some of the roots if poss, a pick axe is the best tool for this.

8. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I have this problem but it is rooted in my neighbours garden. When it starts showing its ugly head in spring I just keep on spraying it with round up. It dosnt get rid of it but keeps it under control. 02

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Sods Law! I use it to secure my garden perimeter and encourage wildlife. I have been training it now for about 3 yrs and it is nothing like as vigorous, yet as soon as the aim is it`s removal it grows like the clappers!

10. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Talk to your neighbour... if you went round spraying my plants with round-up, I'd be cross. one man's bramble is another man's blackberry!

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    you`re right there Quercus.

12. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Unless you're prepared to keep playing games with it, the best way is to dig it out.

Before I started on my garden, it was in a hell of a mess full with the things. The following year I had more to dig out. All has gone now.

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    If my neighbours Weeds/Brambles grew into my garden, you bet your life id spray with roundup, and I wouldn't ask for permission first :D

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Totally agree, Dee.:thumb:

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Is poisoning a neighbours plants legal? I know you can do something-or rather force the offending neighbour to repair or financial compensate if anything they grow is causing damage, but wouldn`t posioning be criminal damage?

You can do whatever you like within your own boundaries I think.