1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brassicas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Welshman, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
    +520
    What do you grow??? and were do you grow them???

ground, greenhouse, pollytunnel

i want to grow mine in a greenhouse for next year, with 600mm high raised beds.

something like this, but with a polycarb roof and walls

B28D655D-70D4-40F6-8FEF-0748677B8169.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,166
      I would not recommend growing brassicas in a greenhouse or polytunnel, they are tough hardy plants and would suffer in the heat. It would be better to cover your structure with butterfly netting to keep off the two main pests, pigeons and cabbage whites.

There are a range of different brassicas which provide crops throughout the year growing in open ground. I grow summer purple sprouting broccoli and black kale, in the autumn I'll get sprouts and Savoy cabbages, winter: red kale and cabbages, spring time; Kale and Spring Greens. I try and usually fail with cauliflower but keep persevering.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,335
        I'm very much with John on this and grow a similar range of brassicas. Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Black kale being the most successful. Brussels last year certainly didn't like the mild autumn. I've had mixed success with cauliflowers some years I get good ones, some years nothing. This year nothing as I forgot to buy seed
        A structure as per your photo with fine netting on it would work quite well.
        I sow most of mine in April and they are currently in nursery beds and will get planted out when time permits.

• Like Like x 1
        • Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
          +520
          This is my current structure……but having read a lot online about people growing in greenhouse and polly’s all year round and without bug and pest issues, i thought i would ask here if anyone does this

B474EB89-8AF8-413B-A869-072302571DA1.jpeg