1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing my hedge back to life

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Apprentice, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Apprentice

Apprentice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully you can see the attached pictures clearly.

When I moved into my house at the end of last summer the hedge was about 8 feet tall. I cut it right back to pretty much the height you can see now, this cull left it with just branches and no leaves. A few more leaves grew at the end of last summer before the winter set in.

I assume it's about to spring into life any time soon, I would like to get it looking like the neighbours, now what do I do?

Cut it all the way down to the bottom, like 6 inches off the floor and wait, then keep trimming it?

What type of hedge is it by the way - vibernam? (spelt wrong I'm sure:o)

Many thanks.

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I would tidy up your cuts to a nice straight line, cut out any obvious dead wood, fork over the soil - taking out weeds. You can do that now unless its still freezing where you are. If it is wait for a couple of weeks.

At the end of March I would give the soil a good feed - granular growmore or rose/shrub feed at the recommended rates. I would also straighten up the lawn edges.

I would also cut the lawn at max height at the earliest opportunity (dry and frost free) as its looking a bit long. Use a grass box